WXXI Internship Opportunities
Since 1958, WXXI has provided the Greater Rochester area with the finest radio and television programming available. Operating four television channels, six radio stations and many online offerings, WXXI put the community first with programs that stimulate and expand thought, inspire the spirit, open cultural horizons and promote understanding of diverse community issues. By being Rochester’s source for PBS and NPR programming, WXXI is one of the most accessible and trusted voices in the community.
- ACCOUNTING: Will become familiar with day-to-day activities in the Accounting Department. Will be trained in month-end closing, account analysis and reconciliations, and the accounts receivable and accounts payable cycles. Will learn the processes for reconciliation of checking and investment accounts to general ledger. Working under the supervision of the CFO, who is a CPA and CMA, the intern should be majoring in accounting and possess good analytical skills.
- CREATIVE SERVICES/PUBLIC INFORMATION: Supervised by the Station Publicist and Creative Services staff. Will observe and learn writing of press releases, posting online highlights on the website, assembling mailing lists, researching special projects, and be involved in outreach and promotional efforts for all of WXXI’s services. Word processing & strong writing skills required; English or Communications majors preferred.
- CONNECTIONS & RADIO OPERATIONS: Under supervision of host of Connections with Evan Dawson to learn preparation for daily radio program. Will learn about development of possible program topics, lining up potential guests for programs, processes of guest bookings, checking the Web and wires for information and background data relating to upcoming programs and topics. Will receive training from Operations Producer on various technical and production related duties. Minimum requirements: Good verbal skills, strong computer research skills & math aptitude.
- STAGE NOTES RADIO: Under supervision of the Stage Notes program host, the Stage Notes Radio Internship will involve training in the following aspects of radio program production: Will gain experience in researching Broadway themes and tailoring playlists for themes; will learn how to generate outlines for each theme to be used by host on air; will arrange interviews, as directed; will co-host Stage Notes, as requested; will be trained to input weekly songs to NPR Composer; will enhance writing skills by composing highlight for classical e-newsletter, writing weekly web post for WXXI.org; write weekly promo and billboard. Will assist in coordination of weekly local cutaway. Will receive training in Adobe Audition 1.5 & NPR Composer. Internship will consist of approximately 8-10 hours of training activities per week, 5-7 p.m., Monday-Friday.
- TELEVISION PRODUCTION: This internship provides an overview of the many aspects of television studio and field productions. The intern will be trained in basic studio positions, including camera operator, teleprompter, and floor manager, and will also be introduced to studio lighting, graphics composition, technical directing, editing, and videography. The intern will contribute in the pre-production, production, and post-production of broadcast and non-broadcast events. Opportunities to assist with audio/radio studio and field productions are a possibility as well. Hours will be dependent upon the production schedule. Availability of Fall and Spring interns to a minimum of 2 days a week Monday-Thursday from 4:30pm-6pm and Thursday mornings from 9am-12pm a must.
CLASSICAL MUSIC: Under the supervision of the FM Classical Program Director and the Classical Music Director, this intern will learn about the preparation and production of arts and cultural radio programming, and be trained in the skills needed to present this programming on air, on line and on mobile. Training and experience will include: compiling arts calendar announcements and ticket giveaways; researching, recording and editing artist interviews and performances; use of social and online media related to programming; creating, updating and maintaining a music database; and basic audio editing and production of arts features. Intern may also be asked to participate in pledge drives and station events. Minimum requirements: Thorough knowledge of Classical Music, strong writing and verbal skills, solid online, social media and computer skill.
EDUCATION INTERN (Summer ONLY): Will become familiar with WXXI’s educational services, outreach efforts, and community programs. Under guidance of Education Department staff, primarily the Educational Training Coordinator. Will participate in WXXI’s Summer Learning events and other educational outreach efforts. Will learn about engaging families and children in informal learning spaces, how to design learning activities for family-friendly events, what resources are available from PBS KIDS to support in-person activities. Will learn how educational technology and media supports learning in/out of the classroom and what educational media services WXXI provides to the Greater Rochester area. Must have experience working with young children in either a camp, school setting, daycare, or other related environment. Must be available Thursdays in July and August. Enrollment in a teacher preparation program preferred.
Contact: Tabatha Santiago
Human Resources Administrator