• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1250   1 year 45 weeks ago

A question, really - what's your view on the striking resemblance between March Based on a Theme by Handel and the protest classic We Shall Overcome which is thought to be derived from CA Tindley's gospel song?

• An RIT Faculty Member Crafts A Film On The Impact Of History's Most Hated Book   1 year 45 weeks ago

this is a great book to study. How else can we learn how Hitler crafted his plans. Read banned books!

• Live from Hochstein: Holiday Music for Horns   1 year 45 weeks ago

I loved this concert. Will it be aired again or available as a podcast?

• Program Listings - December 2012   1 year 45 weeks ago

By becoming a WXXI member, you may opt in to receive the listings. Visit, http://interactive.w...

If you are already a member, please contact our Membership Services:

I hope this helps!

Joy Parker
    Web Coordinator

• From Diane Rehm to Beth Adams   1 year 45 weeks ago

Beth Adams will be an excellent addition! Great Job! Linda Murphy

• Program Listings - December 2012   1 year 46 weeks ago

How do I "opt into" being mailed a copy of the monthly program guide?

• Garth & Wynton: The Project   1 year 47 weeks ago

I was looking for Garth & Wynton: The Project on my DVR to record and the caption on Need to Know Says "developing political stories" Rather confusing!!! is there any way to change the caption?

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1246   1 year 49 weeks ago

Greetings! I'm a listener in Syracuse, on WCNY-FM, and enjoy 'With Heart & Voice" very much. And I especially enjoyed today's program for Veterans/Remembrance Day. It brought back memories of my visit to the UK in November 2010, when I attended the Remembrance Sunday service at Westminster Abbey. And I'm so glad you played the hymn 'O Valiant Hearts'; it is one of my favorites. It's very moving indeed.

Thanks much!

Sincerely yours,
    (Ms.) Patricia Finnegan

• Marina Piccinini   1 year 49 weeks ago

a very pro. flute player?
    never heard of her.

• Community Cinema presents "As Goes Janesville"   1 year 50 weeks ago

Mary Ellen,
    Sorry you missed the screening at the Little. It will air on WXXI-TV/HD (DT 21.1/cable 1011 and 11) on Sunday, November 11 at 3 a.m. So, set your DVR and you'll be able to catch it then.

• Community Cinema presents "As Goes Janesville"   1 year 50 weeks ago

(deleted comment- sorry!)

I missed this due to the storm. Will it be shown again?
    -- Mary Ellen

• Week of October 29 - November 2, 2012   1 year 50 weeks ago

Thank you, Bruce Jacobs. You are not way out there. You are laying out the case, solidly, calmly, and clearly, of the serious racism that we have seen since this president took office (and during his first presidential campaign).

While the continuing low unemployment rate plays a significant part, as it always does, in the president's close race with Romney (can you tease this factor out from race, Mr. Jacobs?)--one of the best examples of white racist foam-at-the-mouth freakout that I remember is the reaction to the president's announcement that he would make a speech to school children in the first months of his presidency. While many (every?) new president(s) in the past has addressed schoolchildren in the past, no one freaked out like this.

While I, too, am disappointed in this president--I had high hopes despite his pro-corporate, extremely moderate record--he is, in fact, competent, solid, level-headed and very very smart on foreign policy issues, and much more honest than Romney. He caught Bin Laden, has made good decisions in handling the worst economic crisis since the 1929 (despite the Republicans) has handled the hurricanes well, and is therefore a better choice.

Barb Deitz,
    Rochester, NY

• October 2012 listings for the New York Philharmonic   1 year 51 weeks ago

Structure was and is the underlying paradigm of the Bach keyboard concerto and likewise the Schoenberg concerto, suggested to the septagenerian composer by pianist, wit, and fellow dododecaphonic composer Oscar Levant. The Bach d minor concerto seems, like all of the master that I've heard, to have existed forever outside of time/space. The Schoenberg concerto, in which the four movements (Andante, Molto allegro, Adagio, Rondo giocoso) are played consecutively as one movement. The world premiere by Stokowski and the NBC Symphony Orchestra two years after it was written caused the conductor to become persona non grata to Toscanini for 10 years, after which he made recordings with the aforementioned and later with the abandoned/reconstituted Symphony of the Air. I have no comment about the Schoenberg concerto's performance. The Bach surprising in the Adagio passacaglia movement which was performed as Andante. The solo ornamentation was thoughtfully and convincingly performed. In the Allegro movements, there was much freshness and unexpectedness in the violins' articulating half of their bar phrases legato followed by the second half staccato. Is this because of the performing edition used and/or the decision of Mr. Gilbert? I prefer hearing the concerto performed on a modern grand since the appogiaturas (replete in the slow movement) are resolved at a lower dynamic than is possible than if played on a harpsichord or Bach's favorite the clavichord. Mozart's "Linz" Symphony concluded the program; and outside of a few crescendi/diminuendi that seemed mannered in the first movement, the articulation and phrasing were examplary in the fast movements. My score had some staccato phrasing in the slow movement that were played legato, but this is hardly news since Sir Thomas Beecham did much in the editing and bowing department of his beloved Mozart. The oboe and bassoon solo in the third movement Trio was a delight to hear. I wouldn't have minded if the entire Trio were played with one to a part, strings included! The final Presto movement seemed to be the same tempo as the conclusion of "Le Nozze di Figaro" 's Presto, which seemed perfectly right. Scored for oboes, bassoons horns and trumpets in pairs with timpani and strings, the variety, imagination and sheer delight of Mozart's symphonic dramaturgy was vividly displayed.

• Community Cinema presents "As Goes Janesville"   1 year 51 weeks ago

What the hell is a talkback? Why can't you just say discussion? Talkback is not a word (at least from a quick Google search, does not even pop up in Urban Dictionary). Why does everything have to be so slang? Especially from a reputable supposedly intellectual source as WXXI. And furthermore when the sentence is immediately followed by someone with a Ph.D. Really?!

• Warning...Read The Fine Print   1 year 51 weeks ago

Keep these good people coming

• New Season of Arthur   2 years 15 hours ago

Is Arthur no longer on weekdays @ 4:00? (WXXI)
    My kids are SO sad....

Tracey Crowley

• Fascinatin' Rhythm Program 1241   2 years 16 hours ago

A listener is looking for the Irving Berlin song, "I Don't Want To Get Married," but can't find the recording. It's only been recorded twice, first on a not especially good recording from Varese Sarabande devoted to songs by Berlin that had never been recorded -- a missed opportunity to do something very good. More recently, it appeared on a new recording of the score to Berlin's 1932 show, FACE THE MUSIC. That CD should be available from Amazon or on iTunes or at your public library.

Michael Lasser

• Pipedreams   2 years 16 hours ago

From 1994-1994 I spent many hours in a basement lab of UMaine at Orono feeding the gas chromatograph with samples for my Master's project - and regularly listening to WXXI Rochester, New York's, Piepe Dreams. Thank you so much! Jan (Göttingen, Germany)

• October 2012 listings for the New York Philharmonic   2 years 18 hours ago

Howard,

Thank you again for your detailed comments about this past Sunday's NYPO concert. I am always impressed by how well you know the repertoire.

Keep listening!

Ruth Phinney
    WXXI-FM Program Director

• Mornings, September 17 - 21   2 years 20 hours ago

You can find my conversation with Mr. Fagan at this link. Wynton Marsalis was, unfortunately, sick that day.

Thank you for listening to WXXI.

• October 2012 listings for the New York Philharmonic   2 years 1 day ago

This is a highly-powered and highly enjoyable concert that I would urge listeners to hear again via the New York Philharmonic's website. Rimsky-Korsakoff figured prominently in the program, not only in his perennial "Scheherazade", but also as the orchestrator of Mussorgsky's "A Night on Bald Mountain" that opened the concert. A revealingly rough-hewn performance it was: a compliment regarding the piece's nature; and the peaceful conclusion "Meno Mosso. Tranquillo." The Prokofieff Third Piano Concerto with Daniil Tifonov as soloist, impressed me from the start with the real sense of a dialogue between the soloist and the orchestra. The orchestra was more prominent than I usually hear. In the slow movement's fourth variation "Andante meditivo", the tempo was more like "Adagio meditivo", but time seemed to stand still for all that and I was both persuaded and impressed. My favorite "Scheherazade" is the Monteux/San Francisco Symphony recording with concertmaster Naom Blinder. Glenn Dicterow was outstanding in his own right, with the harp responding even more quietly after "Scheherazade's motives sounded...a real dialogue in and of itself. The first movement was a bit slow for my taste, but Alan Gilbert has Rimsky-Korsakoff's imprimatur on his side since the 6/4 E-major theme is marked "Allegro non troppo". I confess to a preference for a very tight flute vibrato (as well as opera singers' vibrato), which seems to be out of fashion today. That aside, the second movement's solos were played masterfully. I can't help but think that student Stravinsky had this movement in mind when he composed the second tableau of "Petrouchka", but that's sheer speculation. My preference is for the flute and clarinet runs in Phrygian mode in the third movement be done in strict tempo notwithstanding, it offered much delight in its sensuality. I thought the last movement was outstanding throughout. My hoped-for anticipation of the cymbals being allowed to vibrate on their first note followed by an abrupt stop on the second note was gleefully heard in this world-class performance. I wonder if the two plates were crashed at head-level as in the "good old days"?!

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1243   2 years 2 days ago

Thanks, Mira! You're absolutely right....sorry that one slipped by. Thanks so much for listening, and for your support!

• Voice of the Voter: 25th Congressional District Debate   2 years 4 days ago

Why is it when we pay our water bill, we mail it to a firm in Buffalo? Monroe, is Monroe County, can't we use a company that is housed here where it just may help employees locally. Think local......

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1243   2 years 6 days ago

Peter, as usual we listen every Sunday morning to your program and absolutely love it---however, in case you hadn't heard it from someone else, we would like to respond to your pronounciation of Saint Saens last Sunday---it shoud be Saint Saens with the last "s" pronounced as a z". It is one of the irregular French names as Poulenc is Poolank.
    Thanks so much for giving us our Sunday joys.

Marcia Baldwin and Mira Frohnmayer
    Professors Emeritae in voice, from Eastman and Pacific Lutheran University

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1242   2 years 1 week ago

Dear Mike,

I believe you heard "Ye watchers and ye holy ones." It was sung by the Choir of Trinity College, Cambridge from a CD on the Musical Heritage recording label.

Thanks for listening to With Heart and Voice!