• Long Walk: Tears of the Navajo   2 years 31 weeks ago

This is a very sad story. I'm doing a project about this in my Social Studies class. I'm 12 and im doing this project because we are soppose to present this on the National History day. I'm exited to present this and im doing a great job on doing this project. It's very fun learning about this. Thanks for the sites. :)

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1202   2 years 31 weeks ago

The programs are generally posted to www.withheartandvoic... on Monday following the broadcast. The January 8 program for Epiphany is available by clicking on the player under "Listen to this week's program." Unfortunately the programs are no longer available online once the new show is posted.

Please let us know if you are having trouble accessing the audio on the web page. And thank you for listening to With Heart and Voice.

Jeanne Fisher
    Vice President for Radio
    Executive Producer of With Heart and Voice

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1202   2 years 31 weeks ago

HOW CAN WE LISTEN TO PROGRAMS THAT DO NOT COME ON WITH "Listen to this weeks program"? It is Jan. 11 and we'd like to listen to program that aired on Jan 8th. We'd also like to listen to the Christmas Day one that we missed. Is that possible, and if so, how? Thanks for any help you can give us.

• Autism: Coming of Age on WXXI-TV   2 years 31 weeks ago

First of all that was a wonderful presentation. I really enjoyed seeing what other states are doing with this coming of age issue.

I am the mother of two children with Autism. They are completely different in their manifestation, so their stregths and weaknesses are on opposite ends. My son, who is 10, is more like the young man in the program who really liked Vacuums. He loves to be social, but cannot tell what people's intentions are. He could/would be unable to live on his own without some level of supervision, because he would be taken advantage of. He also has a very distinct learning disability where he cannot "infer". He cannot guess what will happen next in a story or come up with the next step in a word problem. If you give him something concrete he is more than capable.
    Unlike that young man, he is not lucky enough to have siblings to care for him because his younger sister, who is 7, also has Autism. She does not have a learning disability, can very easily predict what people will do, and is very capable of manipulating them into doing what she wants. However, she finds no redeeming value in human interaction. She also has Generalized Anxiety Disorder, which cripples her ability to socially interact even if she wants to. She has be identified as educationally gifted...but will not sit for the test to prove it. Without some level of support as an adult she may spend her life as a hermit.

This would be very difficult to handle if I had not been raised myself with an Autistic brother. He is more "classic" in his representation of Autism, and is so severe that he lives in a group home with others with severe needs with 24 hour care. He could not live in the community without the agency and the group home. He has been in Reshab care since he was a young age because there was no other care available to him, as this was the early 90s. The care structure has improved...but is in major danger of collapse due to the lack of organization, lack of funds and lack of solutions.
    I was very impressed with the agency that handled care for Tomas. It was a very innovative way of caring for him, despite his history of violent outburst as a teen. If we were to individually assess each individual in that manner, allowing for individual solutions for each, although the cost would be higher initially, the gains and savings in the long run would in many cases double the money saved. It is about being PROACTIVE not REACTIVE. THe people that are working for the OPWDD here in NYS have lost touch and are shackled by tons of regulations that prevent innovative thinking. All of the things in place at this time were put there on a reactive basis. We need to wipe the slate clean and start sorting through this garbage dump wasteland of the system. The OPTS grant, that was tried by NYS was a step in the right direction but was not effective because of all the pre-existing regulations and mentalities. So all the money earmarked went to a handful of people and when the cost got to be too much, the projects that were not finished were told, "Too bad, So Sad, we have no more $"
    I blame no one person, I just think it is about time we clean house. You need to start tapping the resources that are here. Getting the families involved in creating a care structure that is safe, and proactive but elastic enough for change, if it is necessary. And above all, realistic. This involves building relationships, and man power initially. Mainenance and cost savings will be seen immediately after a personal solution is found!
    Yes there is the propencity for problems; abuse, and neglect are real issues, but we need to build programs that do not allow this by their very nature. With lots of caring natural supports, these things are not likely to take place, just by the structure of the program. Will it still happen? YES, we cannot prevent all, just most.
    This is an idea that could be easily adapted to Welfare and other social services programs. Put resources where they are needed, not just in a place some preconcieved, one size fits all structure says they should go. The old one place/onetime/one package solution is no longer cost effective. It is dehumanizing and demoralizing for both the care takers and the recipients as well as the social workers in charge of it. No one is happy or safe or secure. So why do we fight change?
    I would love to see some sweeping changes soon or we are going to see a total collapse of our social services system. Maybe start by bringing in the families, not affilated with groups or agencies, as they too have become Jaded. This dialogue need to happen very soon or we will all have a mess on our hands, and the people with disabilies will pay the price for our incompetence.

• Moyers & Company on WXXI-TV   2 years 32 weeks ago

We love Bill Moyers!

What channel will be Moyers & Company be on on Comcast in the San Francisco Bay Area?

• Masterpiece Mystery! Zen on WXXI-TV   2 years 32 weeks ago
    Zen

Edith,
    We do not currently have Zen in the schedule. It will most likely come back around again at some point, but it will not be until late-Spring at the earliest. We hope that you are enjoying Masterpiece Classic - Downton Abbey Series II in the meantime!

Sincerely,

TV Program Director
    WXXI Public Broadcasting Council
    280 State Street
    Rochester, New York
    14614

• Masterpiece Mystery! Zen on WXXI-TV   2 years 32 weeks ago

Will ZEN be shown again?
    Thank you.

• 1370 Connection: WXXI and the Little   2 years 32 weeks ago

Thank you for sharing your questions about WXXI’s new affiliation with the Little Theatre.

First, let us assure you that WXXI did not enter this affiliation without proper perspective and information. A task force made up of board members from both organizations had been meeting for months exploring all the pros, cons and – ultimately – benefits of joining forces. Plus we worked with The New York Council of Nonprofits to assist with our negotiations. The opportunity to have a footprint in the East End of Rochester as well as a new tangible connection to the city’s cultural community was one that we saw as invaluable to WXXI’s growth. The affiliation will also help extend and enhance our educational efforts and add complimentary programming. Both WXXI and the Little have similar missions with strong committed membership bases, and though the Little has been an icon in the city for more than 80 years, we recognized that there were areas in which WXXI was particularly adept at that would help stabilize the theatre. For the Little, with a small but truly dedicated staff, an affiliation with WXXI means additional support where it can really make a difference – more effective fund raising, financial expertise, and promotion of films and events. And in terms of partnering on some of those films and cross-promotions, we expect many exciting opportunities for new programming and events for WXXI will emerge as the two organizations begin to collaborate.

Most importantly, this affiliation helps assure the future of one of the cultural gems of the city, while providing a model for other non-profit collaborations. All not-for-profits are facing challenges during this time of economic stress. The circumstances call for creative thinking and collaborative action. We feel this affiliation will provide opportunities to strengthen the missions of both organizations, broaden the scope of service and opportunity, and contribute to the quality of life in the Rochester community.

• ADHD Drug Shortage Felt Locally   2 years 32 weeks ago

Hospitals and patients are suffering countrywide from a crippling short supply of numerous medications. The narcotics in critically short supply consist of Adderall, a very popular medication for treating Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Adderall among prescription drug shortages is having trouble right now. I hope FDA will have a sudden action for this kind of prescription crisis.

• 1370 Connection: WXXI and the Little   2 years 32 weeks ago

I am a long time supporter of WXXI and I am not exactly excited to hear about the merger between WXXI and the Little Theatre.

I have nothing against the Little, and think it's nice to have a theater like it in town. But honestly, any time I check the listings at the Little, most if not all of the movies shown there are also being shown at the commercial theaters at the malls. Again, no objection, and I do know that the Little also shows less commercial films too, but I was honestly a bit surprised to learn that the Little even qualifies as a non-profit organization at all, since it is essentially primarily a movie theater. A theater that is presently showing five movies, of which four are War Horse, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Young Adult, and The Descendants does not seem like a charitable or cultural institution any more than the Regal Eastview. I wish the Little Theater no ill, and would love to see it function as a successful business, but I don't think it really accomplishes anything that is not already being accomplished by a combination of the Eastman House and the Regal Eastview. It is not something I care to personally financially support with anything more than the price of a movie ticket.

With this merger WXXI is diversifying into the movie theater business. The logic of this escapes me. I contribute to and support WXXI public broadcasting. I support public broadcasting. I don't want to see that support diluted by a merger of a public broadcasting organization with a movie theater. The supposed benefits to public broadcasting from this merger seem to me to be quite weak, even taking them in the rosiest scenario being presented.

I will wait and see how this works out, but merging WXXI public broadcasting with this theater seems to me to be financially questionable, and seems to demonstrate what Peter Lynch called "diworseification". It appears to me that you are losing sight of WXXI's mission in the interest of bailing out a failing movie theater business, simply because many members of the WXXI core demographic are sentimentally attached to it. Even if I turn out to be wrong about this, I have no doubt that this is not the sort of venture I contribute to WXXI to support.

I wish you would stick to public broadcasting and stay out of the movie house business. This merger is ill-conceived.

Tim Biehler

• Tinsel Tales: NPR Christmas Favorites and Tinsel Tales 2   2 years 33 weeks ago

We're so glad that you enjoyed the program!

You can listen to individual stories or the full show online at

Happy New Year!

• Time Warner Cable Blocking OTA Digital Channels   2 years 33 weeks ago

I have TW and OTA and all my HD channels from cable and OTA disappeared at the same time. I thought it was a coincidence until I read this thread.
    I tried rescanning and it didn't work. Then I tried unplugging the TV for a bit and the coax cable from TW then rescanned. My OTA then worked. I plugged in the coax again and rescanned cable and all TW HD channels works again too.
    It looks like TW changed some HD channel line up and may have caused this. I don't know how it affected the OTA antenna tho.

• Columbus Day Legacy on WXXI-TV   2 years 33 weeks ago

movie by Bennie Klain

• Martin Clunes: Horse Power on WXXI-TV   2 years 33 weeks ago

hi - a friend has highly recommended martin clunes "Horsepower". i am trying to find a dvd of the show or a way to access it online, but have only found it available in the UK and in a non-compatible format for the US.

i saw from your site that it was most recently aired at the end of December and an wondering if it will be on again and when. i live in New Mexico and have DirectTV and wonder what channel it would be on if it does show again.

thanks for your reply and any information that you can pass on.
    best regards,
    sue chiverton

• Time Warner Cable Blocking OTA Digital Channels   2 years 33 weeks ago

Am wondering if 2012 is bringing you the same reception? We are a bit closer to Boston and just lost most of our channels through Comcast. Happy New Year! thanks for the info

• Time Warner Cable Blocking OTA Digital Channels   2 years 33 weeks ago

Too right.. nothing worth watching anyway... or so few shows... may as well find alternative entertainment!

• Live From Lincoln Center: New York Philharmonic New Year’s Eve   2 years 33 weeks ago

Could I still purchase a DVD of this awesome show? What an unbelievable show this was!

• The Best Music of 2011   2 years 33 weeks ago

And here's my list...My top ten is just a few more than ten, & there's just too many honorable mentions to bother trying to mention for me...Our lists share two/threeFirst & foremost is "The Whole Love" by Wilco, which I agree, along with Paul Simon's recent album, is the absolute cream of this year's crop. There is no band I love more than Wilco & this year that just outdid themselves.
    Then there's Lucinda William's "Blessed", & one of your honorable mentions made my top shelf- ~ "The Harrow & The Harvest"- Gillian Welch & David Rawlings)
    Terry Lindsey, of The Indestructible Beat just posted his top ten as well, and we only shared one this year- "Cornershop & The Double 'O' Groove Of..."- Cornershop (With Bubbley Kaur). So here's what I posted over on Terry's list as well- which is pretty much what I put up on the NPR site when I voted there this year...
    These top two are in fact not only my fave albums of this year, but probably (along with "Surprise" by Paul Simon & any number of Wilco albums that I dig just slightly less than this one- which is my absolute favorite of theirs) my faves of the last 10-15 years. To say I'm crazy about them is an understatement. If I loved them anymore, I'd take them out to dinner...or try to slow dance with them...
    ~ "So Beautiful Or So What"- Paul Simon
    ~ "The Whole Love"- Wilco
    In no particular order here's the rest of my top shelf faves...any of these are great, but a full notch below those top two, which were just so incredible....
    *Note that one "new" never before released release is actually an archival release from 1967 (The Beach Boys), and another one is an album, or double album's worth of new material that wasn't released in proper album form (The Flaming Lips)
    ~ "Blessed"- Lucinda Williams
    ~ "Bad As Me"- Tom Waits
    ~ "The Harrow & The Harvest"- Gillian Welch & David Rawlings
    ~ "Tassili"- Tinariwen
    ~ "Cornershop & The Double 'O' Groove Of..."- Cornershop (With Bubbley Kaur)
    ~ "Wood & Stone"- Tara Nevins
    ~ "The Old Magic"- Nick Lowe
    And here's others that I bothered to vote for in NPR's year end poll- maybe not quite as top as my other top shelfers, but real close & better than honorable mention status...
    ~ "Soul Time!"- Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings
    ~"Here Before"- The Feelies
    ~ "Mockingbird Time"- The Jayhawks
    ~ "Tromsø, Kaptein"- Robyn Hitchcock
    *~ "The Flaming Lips 2011" (not technically an album)- The Flaming Lips
    *~ "The SMiLE Sessions"(technically not new/re-issue)- The Beach Boys
    Off your list I knew some, and not others, but the Ry Cooder, at least would have been on my longer list of honorable mentions...and...I'm intrigued enough to maybe check out some of the others on Spotify (the higher finishers most probably- certainly the Ryan Adams, which I didn't get around to, & the Dave Alvin)

I am trying to listen on line to a story that aired on 12/23/2011 @ 12:00. It was a beautiful story about a poor country family who gets a note that if they go into town they will be given "christmas"...so that dad goes into town with his horse and wagon, not really knowing what to expect and he comes back with a wagon full "christmas".

The neighbor, Sam Jackson, heard there was Christmas in town, but thought it was only for the "white folk" and so he didn't get Christmas, so the families shared Christmas together...

It was a beautiful, heart warming story that I would like my friend to hear. I see that some of your Tinsel Tales are set up for listening, I would like to be able to hear the one told of above. Could you tell me where to find that?

• Celebrate Earth Day with Online Screening of Garbage Dreams   2 years 33 weeks ago

Now every cinema in the country should air this! Let us learn how to recycle.

• Time Warner Cable Blocking OTA Digital Channels   2 years 33 weeks ago

It's crappy service like this that makes people want to steal television shows by downloading them through peer-to-peer networks... not a bad idea considering government rules support shitty service like Time Warner Cable.

• Week of December 26-31, 2011   2 years 33 weeks ago

While he has interesting perspective, I really can't stand to listen to him talk down to the listeners. He presumes that everyone else is an idiot and speaks accordingly. As a result, his ideas are not heard.

I bet you can find another guest to represent this viewpoint who I can actually stand to listen to.

• Jonathan Winters' A Christmas Carol   2 years 33 weeks ago

Sublimely stunning!

• Alone in the Wilderness, Parts I and II on WXXI-TV   2 years 34 weeks ago

It's crazy that Dick did not report of seeing at any sasquatch or extraterrestrial. He must be very luck that nothing bad happened to him.

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1152   2 years 34 weeks ago

What a terrific program today!
    We're listening on WFMT from Chicago.
    Really enjoyed the first piece - very powerful. It made us stop our Christmas cooking, turn up the volume and enjoy the wonderful sounds. Also enjoyed the sound of the Oxford Choir and the wonderful soprano soloist - gave us chills!
    Got on your website to find the program list as there are many selections we would love to prurhase to listen to on a regular basis, gut it looks like the list won't be released until tonight... we'll be back to check it out.
    Thanks for sharing some great music!