• CUBA MÍA: Portrait of an All-Woman Orchestra   3 years 3 weeks ago

Heard them several years ago here in the USA - to date have not been able to find anything out - great performance that I saw!!!!

• Jackie Evancho: Dream with Me on WXXI-TV   3 years 3 weeks ago

I think Jackie Evancho's show embodies all the worst aspects of the fake popularization of classical music. The arrangements are treacly and overdone, the conductor is an actor (is there such a thing as 'arm-synching?') the 'interviews' are arch and reinforce the most tacky and misleading ideas about what goes through a performer's head during a performance, the covers are predictable and trite. She holds the penultimate note in just about every phrase of "Nessun dorma" to the point that the 'song' is possibly in 5/4 or 5-and-a-quarter/4, and holds the 16th note just before the final note of the 'song', oh, three bars. Puccini himself didn't like tenors who did this. But let's not bring Puccini into it.

The movements with her shoulders when she breathes are dangerous to her technique, and if she had the benefit of instruction she would NOT do this. She moves her jaw with her vibrato, and drops the vibrato for a straight tone in the MOST predictable places, usually exactly where vocally she needs to support the tone such as just before the resolution of a cadence: and children everywhere see it (just as she was mesmerized by "Phantom") and think "Well, that's what Jackie Evancho does."

I hope you get LOTS of money for this, because anybody who knows anything about singing and taste will flee rather than support this crap.

ERIC CULVER

• Classical Afternoons for November 14-19   3 years 4 weeks ago

Roger,

Hi! Thank you for the warm welcome, both in person and here online!

I'm having lots of fun these first few days and weeks, even as I'm a bit hectic trying to make sure that I don't mix anything up. It's so nice to be able to share music through the radio, and I've also loved getting out -- the RPO, some concerts at Eastman, and a striking silent movie at the Dryden.

Hope to see you around more at the station and perhaps around town:)
    -Mona

• Time Warner Cable Blocking OTA Digital Channels   3 years 4 weeks ago

If you buy a OTA antenna and run a cable to your TV turner you will get what stations transmit for free. I currently live In a north east part of CT and I can get channels 2 - 99 without a cable box [this will change I am sure] I have comcast. I am thinking about getting OTA system for my PC-DVR, if I move back to North Carolina since Time Warner is also the cable provider there also. The local channels that are a rebroadcasted through Comcast are not scrambled as yet.

As for blocking the local channels they may have them on a higher tier that way they are scrambled. like Comcast they do not use HD they use NTSC-M. A rebroadcast multi-stream through Comcast cable lines. If you do not have a box this is what they transmit. How I found out was that I purchased a ceton cable card PCIE TV turner card, which had web access which I had to use the setup the signals and looked at cable cards info this is how I found out the signal they used. Well long story short I returned the ceton since it has no analog tuners or digital turners only. which I have about 4 channels digital through Comcast all local. If you are wondering about OTA here is a good link to start with.

• Classical Afternoons for November 14-19   3 years 5 weeks ago

Mona -- I had known from Ruth Phinney that you were coming here, and I had read the WV newspaper article about your departure from Charleston. Nevertheless, I was so pleasantly surprised to meet you in person by chance on a Wednesday recently after my volunteer readings on Reachout Radio. Welcome, WELCOME and W E L C O M E ! ! !

As Jeanne Fisher said at that time, I also am a casual employee at WXXI. I operate the Reachout control room as a substitute when needed. I sense that you've had a very good first week here so far, and I look forward to hearing lots more of your programs.

Roger Nelson.

• Les Misérables 25th Anniversary Concert at the O2   3 years 5 weeks ago

Terrific I saw that concert! It was one of the best cast performance,
    Its my all time favorite, seen it as a kid in Paris, and again when I moved to london. Les Miserables Musical by far one of the 5 best west end theatre Musicals no wonder why after more than 20 years it still playing...

• Rochester Philharmonic Youth Orchestra   3 years 5 weeks ago

Faye--

The podcast will be posted shortly, but will not have the music in it--it's a matter of rights. For the full show, just click on the link above, and you can watch the archived video stream!

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1146   3 years 5 weeks ago

That IS a great arrangement, isn't it!?

Moses Hogan was the arranger, and it was sung by VocalEssence, directed by Philip Brunelle. It's on a recording on the Clarion label, titled, "The World Beloved" - probably available on Amazon.com.

Hope this is helpful. And thanks for listening!

Peter DuBois

• Rochester Philharmonic Youth Orchestra   3 years 5 weeks ago

Will there be a podcast available for this wonderful performance in the near future? These are such talented young musicians!

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1146   3 years 5 weeks ago

Loved this song and arrangement, but didn't hear who is singing or where I can get the recording???

Thank you for your wonderful program!

• Rochester Philharmonic Youth Orchestra   3 years 5 weeks ago

This was, without a doubt, the most special Backstage Pass I have had the honor of hosting. The kids played like lions, and our guests were eloquent and enthusiastic. Kudos to all at WXXI who made this happen, and to the wonderful teens and parents who signed on, and created beauty. We have seen the future of classical music, and it is great.

• Rochester Philharmonic Youth Orchestra   3 years 5 weeks ago

It was wonderful to hear you play! What a fantastic job RPYO!

• Rochester Philharmonic Youth Orchestra   3 years 5 weeks ago

Excellent show! Dylan Kennedy's cousins, Taylor and Connor, Aunt Terry and Michael really enjoyed the show!

• Rochester Philharmonic Youth Orchestra   3 years 5 weeks ago

rpyo performance is great!!!

• Met Opera in HD- Wagner's Siegfried   3 years 6 weeks ago

does anyone know when the encore will be?

• WXXI Need to Know Rochester Special: Childhood Obesity   3 years 6 weeks ago

I just heard the tail end of an interview regarding following the perfect diet for 4 weeks and the interviewee was giving a talk tonight.

I'd like to know more about this, but I can't find it on the website.

Thank you.

• Steve Jobs – One Last Thing on WXXI-TV/HD   3 years 6 weeks ago

Hi Bill,
    We're glad you liked the program. We are airing it again this month on our second digital channel, WXXI-WORLD (DT21.2/ cable 524). It will air Friday, November 11 at 5 a.m. so you'll probably want to DVR it.

• Steve Jobs – One Last Thing on WXXI-TV/HD   3 years 6 weeks ago

A brilliant documentary on Jobs -fascinating! Will it be repeated?

• Stage Notes   3 years 6 weeks ago

Thank you for a wonderful interview with Joe! He is always an amazing, fun interview but you had such great rapport, great questions and so glad you highlighted so many songs from his awesome album, Nothin' But Love!
    All the best and keep doing what you do!
    Lynne Menefee
    Baltimore, MD

• The WXXI DTV Webster area "Dead Zone"   3 years 6 weeks ago

I so wish I would have thought to read this before wasting my time and money trying to fix my loss of WXXI 21-1, 21-2 and 21-3. Since loosing them over the summer I added a preamp with no effect. Tried a distribution amp with no effect. If WXXI thinks that it is user error I invite you to email me and come to my house. My antenna is pointed correctly, all other Rochester Channels are fine at my house. WXXI was weak before it totally died in the summer like others and like others all other Rochester channels are fine. I live near State Rd School in Webster.

• Independent Lens: Deaf Jam   3 years 6 weeks ago

Ray,

Deaf Jam is part of the ongoing series Independent Lens - which is scheduled on WXXI-HD on Sunday nights following Masterpiece Theatre. Here is a list of other times you can see the episode:

WXXI-HD Sun, 11/06/2011 03:00:00 00:56:46

WXXI-World Wed, 11/09/2011 09:00:00 00:56:46
    WXXI-World Wed, 11/09/2011 15:00:00 00:56:46
    WXXI-World Wed, 11/09/2011 20:00:00 00:56:46

WXXI-World Thu, 11/10/2011 01:00:00 00:56:46
    WXXI-World Sat, 11/12/2011 12:00:00 00:56:46

You are also welcome to record the program and watch it at a time that fits better in your schedule.

TV Program Director
    WXXI Public Broadcasting

• Independent Lens: Deaf Jam   3 years 7 weeks ago

Why is it scheduled during ungodly day and hour? (Deaf Jam). Especially here in Rochester where there is a large Deaf Community.

• Smokin' Fish   3 years 7 weeks ago

For more information about this film you can go to the oficial film website: http://Smokinfishmov...

• Visualizing How A Population Grows To 7 Billion   3 years 7 weeks ago

It's hard to imagine how crowded Asia is, seeing that it's 4x as crowded as we are. Excellent visuals, though. We just have to move inland more to have more space. It will cost a lot to move water for us, but we need the space.

• Program Listings - November 2011   3 years 7 weeks ago

We use this free tool as a way to offer a more interactive view of our program listings, especially on our own website. It's open to anyone to use it, just like YouTube. If you find yourself at issuu.com, please check our page http://issuu.com/wxxi or do a search for wxxi and you should see listings.