• Program Listings - November 2011   3 years 4 weeks ago

You have a link to issuu.com but no information about how it works with your program guide. When I click on the link I am taken to issuu.com front page. Is there a relationship with WXXI? Please let us know.

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1144   3 years 4 weeks ago

I love the program With Heart & Voice. Is there a way to get the podcast onto my iPod nano or an iPad? I want to be able to listen to the podcast over & over & to save it? Also, when is the program available on Sunday for the week you are broadcasting it? When I go to the podcast on Sunday morning, for me, it is from the previous week. What I want to be able to do is save each program somehow & play them frequently. I would like to buy some of the music. Do you ever list where to buy the various hymns, etc. Thank you.

• An Afternoon with Jane Austen scholar and expert David Shapard   3 years 4 weeks ago

Dear Mr. Shapard,

If I were to write a lengthy essay on a prevalent theme in Jane Austen novels, would Romantic Interactions between characters be a good topic? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Best
    Anon

• Secrets of the Dead: The Silver Pharaoh on WXXI-TV   3 years 4 weeks ago

Somebody must have told you by now, but when the narrator said "cervical vertebra seven" Your illustration lit up one of the thoracic vertebrae: T-7 I imagine.

Who cares? Don't put it down to "geeky" obsessiveness. It is a minor point of concern to new learners and those who want to have confidence in your work. How did it get past writer, editor, producers, and narrator?

A big pain in the neck produces one kind of misery and dysfunction (not to mention cord implications), while a big pain in the back between your shoulder blades carries different penalties.

Quite a good show, though, otherwise. If I could just get past the opening jitter cam thing (whatever you call the title graphics), I'd watch it more often. I just loathe the (melo)drama. Who is it supposed to appeal to, those who think it's corny or those who think it's silly? Generational tastes, y'
    know.

Dave
    Fresno

• Met Opera in HD: Don Giovanni   3 years 4 weeks ago

i have a question ... where is tinseltown located at ? TN? whats the address of the nearest place?

• Jake Holliday Purcell, Blackfriars Theatre, and Million Dollar Quartet   3 years 5 weeks ago

Caught the television interview with the actors as well. Cannot wait to see this show!!!

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1143   3 years 5 weeks ago

Thanks for your note, Melanie! I think the piece you're looking for is "Choral Variations on 'Ah, Holy Jesus'" by Roger Petrich, published by Oxford University Press. If that's not the piece you're thinking of, you can go to the With Heart and Voice website (www.withheartandvoic...) and click on "playlists" in the upper left corner to browse the entire playlist for the October 23 program.

Hope this is helpful....and thanks for listening!

Thank you for all the kind comments. Jake Holliday Purcel was an outstanding guest—knowledgeable and a lot of fun. I hope to have him back soon.

As many of you have mentioned the play, below is what I wrote on the “Stage Notes” Facebook page:

The cat is out of the bag: "The Mystery of Irma Vep" is spectacular. Jake Holliday Purcel and Ed Popil are stunning together on stage in the two person show. Bravo! Once again, Rochester has shown it's an A-list city for theatre. Thank you, Blackfriars.

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1143   3 years 5 weeks ago

There was a lovely anthem that I wanted to find out the composer and name of piece. I believe the name of the anthem was "Ah, My Lord" or something like that. Can you provide the list of the pieces from this broadcast? Thanks

Great interview- can't wait to see the show!

So excited for this show after listening to the radio program. I am coming to the show this Friday. I can't wait. Thanks for again bringing great theatre to Rochester!!

LOVED the interview with Jake about the show at Blackfriars! Very much looking forward to seeing it!

I'm so looking forward to seeing this show! Always a great experience at Blackfriar's!

Great program on Saturday. LOVED all the song choices. Already have my tickets!!

• PBS Arts from Seattle: Pearl Jam Twenty on WXXI-TV   3 years 5 weeks ago

Steve,
    WXXI has had a long standing commitment to News and Public Affairs on Friday nights. We also recognize that there is a wealth of Arts opportunities happening right here in Rochester on a Friday night.  We chose Sunday as the home for the Arts Fest to honor our commitment to News and Public Affairs on Friday nights, and to give our community the best opportunity to see the Arts Fest.  We know that many folks are out and about on Friday nights enjoying the arts locally, and not in front of the TV.  Please note that this is a 9 week festival including a wide range of acts:
    It opened with Gilbert and Sullivan's HMS Pinafore on the 16th, other episodes planned include:
    the Miami City Ballet Dances Balanchine and Tharp, Bill T. Jones: A Good Man, and The Blue Ridge Mountains: Give Me the Banjo.

Please feel free to record future episodes and play them back at your leisure.

TV Program Director
    WXXI Public Broadcasting

• This American Life: Cat and Mouse   3 years 5 weeks ago

A metaphor for your life

• PBS Arts from Seattle: Pearl Jam Twenty on WXXI-TV   3 years 5 weeks ago

I am perplexed and highly disappointed that you did NOT program the Pearl Jam documentary like most PBS Stations are doing, such as tonight (Friday) or tomorrow evening, when people are looking for something like this to enjoy after a long work week, and perhaps even throw a viewing party in their homes w/others as a social event.

Instead, you are showing it on Sunday afternoon when people are either watching NFL games, raking leaves, running errands, taking an afternoon nap, or w/family on a fall outing etc.

I first read the preview on the broadcast debut of this Cameron Crowe documentary in the NY City media,and told numerous friends about it as well. I rushed home from a long work week to see it @9pm tonight on Channel 21. I had a gut feeling that the WXXI programmers might be tone deaf (no pun intended), to its broadcast placement. Sure enough, my fear was realized as I turned on the tube to see another bland news talk show, instead of an entertaining, exciting television debut on a Friday night, about a band that is the gold standard in the history of the punk / grunge rock genre.

You guys just reminded me why I refuse to donate my money to the local PBS Station, which continues to be a clueless, elitist, out of touch affiliate of a National Network that is the polar opposite of its local counterpart.

Shame on you.

Sincerely,
    Steve Newcomb
    Pittsford, NY

• Mornings on Classical 91.5, October 17 - 21   3 years 5 weeks ago

. . . a medley of Mystery tunes from PBS specials.

• Live Taping of WXXI's "OnStage"   3 years 5 weeks ago

Tracey,
    Yes we did select a few singers/songwriters that are solo for season three of OnStage. Our band call for the series has ended, but we hope to continue the series after season three. And, if we do, we will host another band call... around August/September 2012. Tivoli Skye should definitely submit then.

To check out the bands that were selected for season three, visit: http://interactive.w...

• Live Taping of WXXI's "OnStage"   3 years 5 weeks ago

Just wondering if there are any times that you feature local singer/songwriters who are basically solo. Please advise.
    http://www.youtube.c... Promise
    http://www.youtube.c... Break me
    also on Tivoli Skye channel live video of EP launch , and other bits of gigs.

• Mornings on Classical 91.5, October 17 - 21   3 years 5 weeks ago

As soon as the first few bars sounded, I recognized the main intro theme for Mystery Theater, followed by, I believe, the theme music for the Lord Peter Wimsey series. I could almost see the Gorey title cartoon segment running in my mind.

• Time Warner Cable Blocking OTA Digital Channels   3 years 5 weeks ago

Contact the Consumer Bureau of the FCC at 1-888-225-5322. It is extremely illegal for any company to interfere with licensed spectrum signals. If you suspect your cable company is blocking your regular digital broadcast signals, the FCC needs to know about it. If they hear from enough of us, they will launch an investigation.

• Time Warner Cable Blocking OTA Digital Channels   3 years 5 weeks ago

Reason #1723 why corporate consolidation of media is a bad idea:

Anyone had this happen to you? We live in an area served by only two cable giants, AT&T & Time-Warner. We went with AT&T for our internet but refused the TV package. When they called again to push cable TV on us, we foolishly let it slip that we have rabbit ears and can pick up regular broadcast stations just fine. Zap! Within hours our TV reception went out and stayed out for days. We thought it was a coincidence, just the weather perhaps, as it did come back.

Last week we got another sales call trying to push their TV package. We declined. Zap. Within hours the TV stations went out again, and we still can't pick up anything. Hmm. Coincidence? Yes, I've tried rescanning the channels, even bought a new antenna; there just aren't any signals anymore, period.

At the risk of sounding paranoid or delusional, I'm considering calling AT&T and demanding they reinstate our TV reception forthwith or we will cancel our internet and go with their competitor. If anyone has any advice or similar experience, I welcome your input.

• PBS Arts from Minnesota: The Guthrie Theater Presents H.M.S. Pinafore on WXXI-TV   3 years 6 weeks ago

Saw this in MPLS. great sow!

• Gas Drilling Boom Brings New Life to Steel Industry   3 years 6 weeks ago

If we had a major conversion to wind energy, steel would also be needed to make the wind towers. If we had a major conversion to solar, steel would be needed for the freestanding platforms. Of course, on the other hand, the steel might also be imported from China, as in the case of the San Fransisco Bay Bridge.