• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1242   1 year 50 weeks ago

What was the name of that hymn arr. by Ralph Vaughan Williams (for the English hymnal?) on today's program?

Thanks,
    Mike McMurray

• Celebrating Richard Gladwell   1 year 50 weeks ago

I was a member of the Lutheran Church of the Incarnate Word and of its choir when I lived in Rochester from 1984 - 1987. I was privileged to meet Richard when the choir was taped for one of the With Heart and Voice broadcasts. I have never forgotten how gracious he was with us and can still hear his voice when he described the choir during the broadcast. For awhile I had the broadcast on a VHS tape (the only way I knew to record it at that time), but it eventually wore out. I thank God for Richard and for the program which I am so glad is still going and is now available all over the US.

• Fascinatin' Rhythm Program 1241   1 year 50 weeks ago

Hello,

I caught your show last night and heard the Irving Berlin song, "I Don't Want to get Married." I tried to search for it but came up empty. Do you know if there are any websites that have the full song? Thanks!

• Business and Health Care   1 year 50 weeks ago

How can one get a podcast of the 10/10 1st hour of 1370 Connection?

• Week of October 8 - 12, 2012   1 year 50 weeks ago

I think abuse is not gender specific...your organization "by it's name" ignores a majority of victims. Men are also not likely to speak to others about their abuse or seek help so the problem. How about changing your organization to support both men and women, programs to help men remove themselves from abuse.

• Live from Hochstein: Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra   1 year 50 weeks ago

Why such an outdated photo of the RPO? This was taken years ago! There is a more recent one with Arild Remmereit you could have used.

• Rainy days for some American orchestras   1 year 50 weeks ago

Mona was awesome to run for Hochstein! We love WXXI and our partnership!

• Testing Milton Friedman: Equality of Opportunity   1 year 51 weeks ago

I watched a few of Friedman's presentations. Evidently Ronald Reagan bought his ideas, as the beginning of the demise of the Middle Class started.
    One of the "ideas" of Friedman was "We no longer need the draft or compulsory Military service for all".
    I am a Veteran. I am also pretty successful, in the 10% of the Population as far as Wealth. I also am a college graduate in Finance and worked the last decade in Financial Services.
    What I could not understand, is how much harder I worked, how much less I managed to keep. I noticed that Corporations were making lots of money and paying the Executives huge wages but the people employed in these Corporations were under stress, working hard, putting more time at work, and having less.
    The Friedman ideas were "enhanced by "Financial Legislation" benefiting the Rich while stripping away the Assets of the Middle Class.
    Let me begin with the "Military Service of All, including the Rich kids".
    I worked for one of the most admired Corporations in the USA. The CEO who ran the Company, was a B-17 pilot flying missions over Germany in WWII. He "rubbed shoulders" with his crew - like in the Memphis Belle movie, and realized that his "crew of ordinary people" from all economic backgrounds All Contributed to him staying alive.
    After the War ended, these Pilots went home, built their companies and tax laws were used to "Incentivize" the Corporations to provide Defined Benefit Pensions, Health Care, Adoption Services and other benefits that created a loyal and committed workforce. The CEO's made money (40 times employees) and the biggest surge in a Middle Class(having money left over to better their lives after living expenses).
    What changed? Milton Friedman selling the President and putting the USA on a path of destroying the Middle Class.
    First doing away with Volunteer Organizations of the masses. Destroying the Unions. Passing financial Laws that allowed Corporations access to Defined Benefit Pension plans that led to schemes like "Downsizing, Rightsizing, Merger and Aquisitions, Hostile Take Overs, Friendly Take Overs and other "creative schemes" to take away, the $7 Trillion of the Defined Benefit Pension plans. The Tax laws of Capital Gains and the Ruse of "having 15% Capital Gains" will "Create Jobs". What a big lie that was. Passing laws that allowed the takeover of the Media - Radio, TV, and Media where the average American is Polarized and convinced that supporting Inequality and 'Trickle Down" will benefit them.
    Doing away with the Estate Taxes, so the Rich can pass along all their accumulated wealth, stolen from the Assets of the American Middle Class, Defined Benefit Pensions and the recent Home Equity, both representing 25% of the total wealth of the USA, shifted to the Point 1% who are 49% Corporate Exeutives and 19% Financial people like Leveraged buyouts and guys like Mitt Romney "Harvesting the Defined Benefit Pension plans" that Bain Capital took over.
    All, Friedman Ideas, that have resulted in the biggest Inequality Gap in our History. Pretty Clever.
    So what has got us in trouble?
    NAFTA, the Repeal of the Glass Steagal, the Commodity Futures Modernization Act, "Get the Government off our backs so Bernie Maddoff can run a 20 year Ponzi scheme and not get caught", Predatory Lending by Banks, easy credit, Profitizing Health Care Services with Price Fixing with a Computer naitonwide network, Lobbyists with bags of money filling Congress, No tax increases of the Rich and Blackmail from Norquist, the Koch Brothers manipulating grass roots and not to forget the ALEC organization, Corporatists writing laws to be funnelled into every state in the USA to be passed by Legislators who they bribe.
    Mainly, Corporations have feathered their nest with laws passed and not passed for their benefit.
    They are "Organized" and have their Own Union while destroying the Middle Class Unions.
    The wealth disparity did Not happen without their "Corporate Union" and war declared on the people, who build bridges, homes, railroads, cars and not "Money Savy" of the likes of Friedman.
    We have to do something about this NOW and the Republicans need to either change or go away, as their adoption of Friedman's ideas have resulted in the loss of the American Dream, for the average person and my kids and grandkids.
    So, we need to revisit our "Tax Incentive" laws. and other laws like Military Service, including the Five Boys of Mitt Romney instead of the Mercenary Armed Services today. I think the decisions made to go to War would be less attractive with the 'Wealthy having their kids in harms way"
    We need to raise the Insane Capital Gains taxes to the Marginal Tax rates as 90% of the Corporatists are paid at a 15% Tax rate, stock.
    We need to reign in Wall Street, a good start would be the Stock Transaction fee, to stop Hyper High Speed Trading that is "fleecing the 401K' and IRA's every microsecond.
    We need to raise the Estate Tax that forces turnover of 50% of the Estate values of the Wealthy to the future born Americans like Teddy Roosevelt Advocated.
    We need to remove Tax Incentives to bring jobs and manufacturing back into Ameria.
    We need to Incentivize Corporations to enhance their employees welfare.
    We need to take the Profit out of Health Care Services and stop the One Million Families forced into Bankruptcy every year from Medical Bills.
    We need to "rethink the War on Drugs" especially Marijuana and do away with "For Profit" jails and incarceration.

There are way to many to list but I think you get the idea of just how Milton Friedman's Ideas have led to the gradual but sure demise of the Middle Class.

The "Inequality" in the USA happened because of Laws for the benefit of the Rich and we, the Middle Class, did not recognize it. We were too busy raising our kids, working around the clock, and believed the "Friedman Koolaid" that has led the USA where it is today.

Transgressing from a Democracy to a Plutocracy with Oligarchs.

If we continue on the path of Friedman, we will have a country of a few Rich men in a Poor Country like all the third world countries and that the people of Russia lived 500 years before the 1917 Revolution.

We better wise up or the USA might just go the way to a similar, 1917 Revolution.

• The WXXI DTV Webster area "Dead Zone"   1 year 51 weeks ago

is this just a dead issue? so sad that we still can not pick up WXXI in a small zone in Webster

• Program Listings - October 2012   1 year 51 weeks ago

We have not received our 'hard copy' by USPS. Please resend. Thank you.
    Peter Dundas

• Mornings, October 1 - 5   1 year 51 weeks ago

Thank you for writing. Here are details on the record we heard:

Bright Blue Music
    Name: MYSTERY COLOR: BLUE
    Composer: Michael Torke
    Conductor: David Zinman
    Orchestra/Ensemble: Baltimore Symphony Orchestra
    Track Label: Argo
    Catalog Number: 433071

Thanks for listening. It's great to hear from you!

• WXXI Luncheon with Diane Rehm   1 year 51 weeks ago

I would love to be able to attend however 75 dollars is way to steep for me
    just to let you know I still support your radio station
    David Guile

• Mornings, October 1 - 5   1 year 51 weeks ago

As many times as I've heard your Mystery Piece, this is the first time I've identified the composer! It's Michael Torke, and the color is blue. I come home from work during the wee hours of the morning, and this piece has been played twice in the past three years or so on Music Through the Night. I remember one of their announcers described the piece as "just happy, happy music." Thank you, Brenda, for brightening my day.

Paul

• MASTERPIECE: CLASSIC "Upstairs Downstairs" Season 1 MARATHON   1 year 51 weeks ago

Meshia, Would you please reply to let me know which episode you were watching (day & time) and I'll be sure to track down any issue that might have occurred. Your answer will be of great help to me in pinpointing any issue that might have taken place during a broadcast. Thank you so much for getting in touch with us!

• September 2012 listings for the New York Philharmonic   1 year 52 weeks ago

A wonderfully balanced program, this, with two unjustly neglected 20th Century works paired with a perennial. Mr. Kavakos and the Orchestra gave committed performance to the lyricism and romanticism inherent in Korngold's writing. The Nielsen Third Symphony is a delightful harbinger of Maestro Gilbert's decision to perform and record all six of them. The offbeats and grace notes characterizing the First Movement, hemiola and all --- it seems to me the "Eroica" Symphony of Beethoven was the model for this movement, at least --- were given their full measure. Curiously, there's a solo viola and 'cello briefly called for in this movement. The pastorale Second Movement --- a sound of nature if ever there was one --- shown with the perfect fifths of the bassoons doubled by the horns as the strings intoned their modal melody. The soprano and baritone vocalise blended well, the score indicating them to be offstage. As the principal theme was reprised, the contrabasses are instructed to employ scordatura and tuned their low E-string to E-flat. The Third Movement allowed the woodwinds to predominate; and the three oboes did so mellifluously in their solo. The Fourth Movement began sonorously --- the first and second violins playing the melody on the G-string as indicated in the score --- so much so that if Elgar were the composer, he surely would have written his unique "nobilmente", for that was how the theme sounded. (Nielsen never used the term "nobilmente".) The only surprise, though, was a change of tempo 19 bars from the end of the movement not written in the score --- at rehearsal number 13 --- that afforded a faster conclusion.

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1240   1 year 52 weeks ago

Who composed and sang "There will be rest." It is so beautiful, and I'd really like to get the recording. Thanks.

• MASTERPIECE: CLASSIC "Upstairs Downstairs" Season 1 MARATHON   2 years 15 hours ago

Why did you not finish the rest of the episodes. It is very disturbing.

• Classical Afternoons for September   2 years 2 days ago

Carol,

Hi! It's not a permanent change - this series continues for just another week and a day. It's a special program for Hispanic Heritage Month: http://interactive.w...

Thanks for checking in, and I'm glad that WXXI is part of your life too!
    -Mona

p.s. Do you have the iPod with the radio in it? I'm thinking about one of those, since I do a lot of walking.

• Classical Afternoons for September   2 years 2 days ago

Is the Spanish music on only for the month of September or is this a permanent change. This is not the music I look forward to on WXXI which
    I listen to at home, in the ca,r or on my iPod when I go for a walk.

Wxxi is an important part of my life.

Carol Basener

• September 2012 listings for the New York Philharmonic   2 years 2 days ago

Dear Howard,

This season the NYPO has had to make many program changes after they sent program listings to stations. There have been so many changes, that it has been difficult for stations to keep up with what's the latest. My guess is that the NYPO site is correct - as the stations are often the last to be notified.

Thanks for pointing this out, and I hope you enjoy the program - whether it's Nielsen, Beethoven, or whomever.

Happy listening!

Ruth Phinney, Program Director

• September 2012 listings for the New York Philharmonic   2 years 2 days ago

The New York Philharmonic website lists Nielsen's Third Symphony, Op. 27, "Sinfonia Espansiva" rather than Symphony No. 1. The Coriolan Overture by Beethoven and the Violin Concerto by Korngold are correct.

• Fascinatin Rhythm Program 1238   2 years 3 days ago

hey there -
    I was parking, listening to your show, found a spot and sat through the whole show! - unfortunately, I've been unable to find the playlist anywhere online -
    do you have the list of what you played and the artist who played them - I would REALLY appreciate it
    thanks
    Jordan

• FRONTLINE: Dropout Nation   2 years 3 days ago

Great show. What we need is a Vochuer Program for Catholic school to give parents an option beside public school. We need two parent household so that kids in the citys across america can equal footing with suburban kids. Also the unions will fights any reform that not in the unions best intrest.The liberal Democrat both black & white know that public schools have failed and do they care.

• "Broadway Or Bust" Meets "Bring It On"   2 years 4 days ago

Thank you for your comment, Marie. You are correct—the majority of high schools do not participate in the Jimmy Awards. I am pleased that many in the Rochester area do. In fact, Shauni Ruetz from Wayne Central won last year. What a thrill for her and for Rochester!

I liken "Broadway Or Bust" to "American Idol." That said, unlike most of the competitive singing reality shows, I thought "Broadway Or Bust" was an excellent educational piece. It presented forthright and thoughtful behind the scenes material. Broadway is a tough business—many truly gifted people will never “make it.” It highlighted that reality well. For example, I thought Brittany Dankwa from Georgia might win—she did not even make it to the top six.

Thank you for listening to Stage Notes and for your feedback.

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1239   2 years 5 days ago

I am the layperson in charge of music at my church and yesterday my husband told me about a wonderful hymn he heard on With Heart and Voice: Let All the World in Every Corner Sing, sung by the choir of St. John's College. I've been trying ever since to find the music for this hymn. There are a zillion versions, but I think the one I'm looking for is the one that is sung in England. At least, YouTube has a video of it being sung at Edward's and Sophie's royal wedding in 1999. Can you help me?