• Juliana Athayde and Nicholas Goluses   2 years 10 weeks ago

The violin sounds like we are hearing the reflections instead of the direct sound. Too bad because it is a great performance and would have made a great recording if mic'ed properly.

• Pulitzer-winner David Cay Johnston to Host   2 years 10 weeks ago

Thank you for a great show today! Unions I have served and been served by are now having to downsize due to the big loss of members as a result of state budget cuts and other causes. I provided workshops on resiliency to union reps. They work incredibly hard, often working very long and grueling hours and traveling extensively (hundreds of days a year) to advocate for the workers they represent and mediating between management and workers when problems arise. The union reps. I trained advocated for the best workers possible by advocating for training, professional development and common sense management of employees that rewards talented, skilled, dedicated workers who achieve results from the work that they do.

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1229   2 years 10 weeks ago

You can find Richard's playlists on the web: http://interactive.w...

WMFE in Orlando carries With Heart and Voice on the FM HD2 station, Sundays at 7:00 a.m. You can also listen to the program on our website, wxxi.org/whv. Audio is usually posted by Monday afternoon and is available for a week.

Thanks for listening!

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1229   2 years 10 weeks ago

You can find Richard's playlists on the web: http://interactive.w...

Thanks for listening!

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1229   2 years 10 weeks ago

gentlemen..
    how do I find play lists that Richard Gladwell used....
    also ,what station[s] in Florida carry the show anymore...used to be
    on a station serving Orlando to Daytona ..central FLA...
    .. I am trying to find a few of his selections to Encourage our music
    director at church to learn/play...
    ...some of GLadwells picks were 'noise'... some were just phenomenaly
    beautiful music ..on the order of Barbers Adagio... maybe you can
    suggest some ?
    thanx for the help...

• Copland Summer   2 years 11 weeks ago

Personally, a lot of it has to do with it being very much American music. Beethoven sounds German. Tchaikovsky sounds very much Russian.
    Copland made classical music that sounded American, and a lot of what we listen to in the soundtracks to movies nowadays can be traced back to that branch in the classical family tree. It makes his music something that is easier to identify with then any of the classical European composers.

When he wrote most of his more 'popular' pieces, America was finally shaking the last grasp of old Europe and the depression. The old composers were dead and buried and there was a new optimism. That's the environment he wrote in and that 'American Spirit' seems to reflect in his music.

Just my opinion :D
    Thanks for the music,
    Ronald

• Norm & Company: Edward "Ted" Curtis   2 years 11 weeks ago

When's Episode 2?

• WXXI's Travel Club: Colors of Provence   2 years 11 weeks ago

How many people will be on this tour?

• An Afternoon with "America's Test Kitchen's" Julia Collin-Davison   2 years 11 weeks ago

Just want to let Julia know that nobody goes mmmmmm....... after trying food as good as she does. She is so sweet and such a great cook. When we watch her show we end up in the kitchen because we always end up hungry.

Her and Christopher make a great couple going

mmmmmm......

Good Job Julia, Love America’s Test Kitchen !!!!!

• Why Quilts Matter: History, Art, and Politics on WXXI-TV   2 years 11 weeks ago

Hi,

We're so pleased that you enjoyed the show.

If you would like to purchase the DVD it is available on the show's website at whyquiltsmatter.org or click the below link to go directly to the purchase page.

• Song Travels with Michael Feinstein for September 29th   2 years 11 weeks ago

I've heard back from the producing station of Song Travels. Here's what they said...

The Great American Songbook Competition has so far not been highlighted on Song Travels with Michael Feinstein. Do not know of future plans to showcase it on the program. Given Michael Feinstein's involvement with the competition there is the possibility.

A big thanks for airing Song Travels with Michael Feinstein!

John Gasque
    Operations Manager/Program Director

...so we can still hope they highlight this competition in the future.

Ruth Phinney, Program Director
    WXXI-FM Classical 91.5

• Program Listings - August 2012   2 years 11 weeks ago

Hi, Karlene... Sorry about that. We've corrected the problem now, you should be able to download the August program listings like usual.

• Program Listings - August 2012   2 years 11 weeks ago

When I try to download the August program listing via either Firefox or Safari, I only get the first page. I would like the entire listing. Can you send me a copy via email?

Is it possible to get a copy of the Why Quilts Matter series very soon?

• Song Travels with Michael Feinstein for September 29th   2 years 11 weeks ago

Dear Steve,

We do not produce Song Travels here in Rochester; but I have sent your question along to the producing station. As soon as I hear a firm answer on this, I'll pass it along. As far as I know, this first round of 13 programs has featured stars who have taken songs from the Great American Songbook and presented them in new ways to make them fresh and their own. The competition to which you refer brings the Great American Songbook to a new generation of high school students. Perhaps your question will prompt them to include some of this in upcoming programs. (We've just learned that a new 13-week season of Song Travels is in production.) Stay tuned!

Ruth Phinney, Program Director
    WXXI-FM Classical 91.5

• Song Travels with Michael Feinstein for September 29th   2 years 12 weeks ago

Hello David and 'Song Travels' ...I've just discovered the series on our public radio! Was the 'Great American Songbook competition featured in any of the episodes?
    thanks,
    Steve Melcher

• New Season of Doctor Who   2 years 12 weeks ago

Doctor Who will be back on Saturday nights at 11pm, on WXXI, starting August 4th. The BBC initially intended to make the new season of Doctor Who available to us in April, but was unable to deliver. The rights window was pushed back to begin in August for Public Television. We have used all of our broadcast rights for the previous season, so we have been playing a music series. We do not own rights to seasons featuring earlier Doctors, so that was not an option for us. We hope that you will enjoy the new season!

WXXI TV Program Director

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1227   2 years 12 weeks ago

Please play it

• New Season of Doctor Who   2 years 12 weeks ago

A tradition for Rochester for decades - I started watching in the early 90s - it's Dr. Who at 11pm on WXXI! Wanted to know why he was gone - could you substitute some old Tom Baker expsodes in the interim? Thanks!

• Week of April 9 - April 13, 2012   2 years 12 weeks ago

We had some technical problems in April with our podcasts.

Wednesday 4/11

Hr. 2

Rochester School Board finance committee chair Willa Powell discusses the draft school budget and the choices educators have to make in continued times of fiscal constraint

Here is the podcast:

Thank you for your patience!

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1230   2 years 12 weeks ago

Thank you for a wonderful program today. With Heart and Voice is about the only program of any kind that I listen to every week without fail. It is always a wonderful line up but today was even more exceptional.

I know I can listen any time on line, but I wish there was a way to download a podcast, even at a price. I am sure there are copyright issues preventing podcast download. I honestly think podcast sales could be a fundraiser for all involved with facilitating the weekly program.

Thanks for all you do!!

Chris

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1229   2 years 13 weeks ago
    H&V

I really enjoy your program, With Heart and Voice, which I usually hear as I am driving to church. I alerted my family to the program, and one of them found your website for current and past programs. I put it in my Favorites. Great organ and choral work. Nice too that you did a Canadian program; my daughter and son-in-law live in Vancouver, and I suggested he audition for the the Vancouver Chamber Choir.

Thank you for the excellent programming. I listen on Cleveland radio, WCLV.

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1228   2 years 14 weeks ago

You are correct, the album "Light" by the Morning Choir of Fourth Presbyterian Church IS available on amazon.com. Thanks for the update!

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1228   2 years 14 weeks ago

You can actually purchase it on itunes or amazon.

• Cutting Violence   2 years 14 weeks ago

I was appalled and infuriated listening to this show yesterday on violence in the city with the police chief James Sheppard. Though I appreciate the frustration and challenge that law enforcement confront daily I felt the dialogue between host Bob Smith and Police Chief Sheppard was one that did not delve into the true depth and broader elements at play in violent behavior - c'mon blaming the recent rise in violent crime in our area on "the heat"? Really? And then host Smith referred to when he was young [and i'm paraphrasing here] it was all about fist fights and all anyone came away with was a bruised or injured jaw, but with knives and guns someone could die. Well, Mr. Smith that wasn't the only harm created in that so called "harmless" violence. The psychological damage to the individual and society at large from our misguided acceptance of violent behavior is tremendous.

It is not the tools of violence that are the motivating and destructive forces (though less access to killing apparatuses would definitely lessen fatalities). Entertaining our thoughts of violence are what lead to violent actions. Thoughts are pretty much involuntary acts but it is in how we allow our thoughts to mold us into action and reaction where our behavior can become estranged from common sense and decency.

Sadly, this wasn't the most egregious error on this program. A caller called in and went on what I would describe as racist, classist bigoted commentary that neither the host nor police chief challenged or discredited. The person continued unchecked and hung up and the show moved on without any reference to the caller's condemnation of two cultures. Basically [and again I'm paraphrasing here] the caller said lack of family values was the reason for the violence and that Blacks and Hispanics need to learn not to have children and Black and Hispanic males need to learn how to be fathers. I was aghast first to hear someone say something so blatantly discriminatory on the air but worse yet that it went unchallenged and discredited! Totally disrespectful and indecent on all sides! I was ashamed to be a citizen of this city at that moment. Please, as people in public view, stand up for what is honorable, just and fair. Your presence and analysis on the radio impact a large and broad spectrum of our community - and require a high level of responsibility on your part.

Thank you.