• Summer mornings in June   2 years 5 weeks ago

Before this Summer, I had only listened to 91.5 on rare occasion, but this year I tuned in almost every morning and afternoon for my short commute to work and back. Classical has never been my favorite genre, but I can always tolerate it and it's often quite good. Other radio stations on the other hand, even ones that play some of my favorite music like the RIT station, have a lot of junk I can't stand at all. 91.5 is where it's at for my 10 minute drive each day, and even though it didn't change my mind about Classical, I kept coming back to it. Part of the reason for that was Luna Galassini's fill in for Brenda.

Luna's voice is incredible. I could listen to her talk all day long. Brenda's is nice too, and I honestly think 91.5 has done a great job picking hosts that all have pleasing radio voices appropriate for the station, but Luna ruled them all. I once waited in the parking lot a little after 8 just to finish hearing her weather report. That said, I'd like to know if she is still a host now that Brenda is back in the morning, if there are pictures of her anywhere because I'd love to match the voice to a face, and also to encourage her to keep using that voice. I mean, really, read some audio books or something, Luna!

Keep it up, guys. Thanks for the station.

• America Abroad: "The Global Water Challenge"   2 years 6 weeks ago

Hi Jenni,

You can listen to or download the Global Water Challenge at the PRI: America Abroad website at http://www.publicbro...

Thanks for tuning in!

• American Masters' Johnny Carson: King of Late Night   2 years 6 weeks ago

Hi Lynn,
    The program is available to view online currently at:

It is available for purchase here:

It is not currently scheduled for a re-air, but it will eventually air again.

WXXI TV Program Director

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1228   2 years 6 weeks ago

Hi Marian, the piece you heard was Michael Allen's Kyrie, performed by the Morning Choir of Fourth Presbyterian Church in Chicago. That recording is not commercially available. However, you can listen to the program again online. Just click on "Listen to this week's program."

• William and Mary SEASON 2   2 years 6 weeks ago

Doctor Who will rejoin the WXXI schedule on Saturday, August 4th at 11pm. (The Season that we just finished airing is no longer in rights, and the rights to the new season, that we are about to begin, do not start until August.) Enjoy!

WXXI TV Program Director

• America Abroad: "The Global Water Challenge"   2 years 6 weeks ago

I came in late due to kids needs, and I did not hear anything about Global Water Challenge..but rather about religious issues. How long did it last ? May I get a copy of it or will it be posted as an MP3 download? I know many people are interested in this very important subject.

• American Masters' Johnny Carson: King of Late Night   2 years 6 weeks ago

Is it possible to download this or to get a copy? Will it be on again?

Thank you.

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1228   2 years 6 weeks ago

Looking for the Michael Allen piece. Am I spelling his name wrong? Such a glorious piece!

• William and Mary SEASON 2   2 years 6 weeks ago

This is nice, but BRING BACK DOCTOR WHO!!

• POV: The City Dark   2 years 6 weeks ago

Not to worry, these excellent films often have a handful of airtimes to reach a variety of viewers. Although POV "The City Dark" already premiered late on Thursday night for night owls, it will air again 7 more times... and soon! I hope you're able to catch it during one of the times listed below!

Airing on WXXI-TV/HD 21.1 (TWC 11 & 1011)
    Sunday, July 7 at 11:30pm
    Sunday, July 8 at 3am (late night Saturday, July 7th)

Airing on WXXI WORLD 21.3 (TWC 524):
    Wednesday, July 11 at 8am
    Wednesday, July 11 at 2pm
    Wednesday, July 11 at 7pm
    Wednesday, July 11 at Midnight
    Saturday, July 14th at Noon

Enjoy!

• POV: The City Dark   2 years 6 weeks ago

I find it extremely unfortunate that an excellent movie like this has been buried in the middle of the night. Way to go WXXI schedulers!

• Week of July 2 - 6, 2012   2 years 7 weeks ago

The survey period in question covers testing done between 1999 (the start of the Coalition’s work) and 2011. Given that all cars built and sold in the U.S. since model year 1970 were built to use unleaded gas and all cars built since model year 1975 require unleaded fuel only (and cannot even accept leaded fuel), leaded gasoline was for all intents and purposes unavailable in this region—and in most of the United States--after 1980, even if not officially prohibited for some years afterward. So the impact of leaded gasoline on children born since 1980 was minimal. The remaining variable for lead exposure over the last 30+ years, is whether or not you’re in a housing unit where lead paint was present. Any home built before 1978 could be loaded with lead paint.
    Hope that will clear the confusion.

• Week of July 2 - 6, 2012   2 years 7 weeks ago

How do we know the reduction in children with risky lead levels is primarily due to reducing and abating lead paint and other sources in homes and businesses. Could the reduction be equally or even primarily be due to the banned sale of leaded gasoline by the Clean Air Act? Leaded gasoline is absorbed into the skin on contact with gasoline or into the lungs from automotive exhaust. Remaining deposits of lead in topsoil near roadways with greater traffic congestion is also an issue. The phase out of leaded gasoline began in the 70's and culminated with the ban, not until January 1996. Could the credit given to recent standards of eliminating lead paint be somewhat misplaced and overshadow the other and maybe greater reason why lead levels are dropping in children?

• Squeezy Cheese and Traditions   2 years 7 weeks ago

You're right I was happy! Beautiful crowd was very inspiring and, yes, great band. Thanks for the mention. Love your sketches!

• Mornings, June 11 - 15   2 years 7 weeks ago

"The Man Who Got Away"

composer - George Arlen

• Week of June 25 - 29, 2012   2 years 7 weeks ago

I spent 16 years working for internet technology start-ups along the East Coast - from greater NYC area to Boston. What universities such as MIT do so well is foster incubation and they've been doing it for 50 years. It isn't a question of more smart people gravitating to more alluring destinations it is the cultivation of brain trust and nurturing it, leveraging successes to attract more talent and investment. The Scottish people suffer the same issue as the Western New York region - an unwillingness to seem braggart. (Scotland btw produces the highest per capita mobile app development in the world but no one knows this.) DT Cleveland is becoming "cool" and youner people are streaming into the city revitalizing it, there's no reason that Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse shouldn't enjoy the same dynamic.

• Hep Kids: The Family Spot at the Jazz Fest   2 years 8 weeks ago

Thank you!

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1225   2 years 8 weeks ago

Keith Hampton's arrangement of Praise His Holy Name was sung by the Atlanta Sacred Chorale, on a CD recording called Hallowed be Thy Name. It's recorded on the Da Chiesa label, #DCR-110. If you connect to our playlist here:
    you can purchase the disc through Amazon and a portion of your purchase will support the program.
    Thanks for listening to With Heart and Voice!

• Ronnie Kroell, Bravo's "Make Me a Super Model," is Out & Open Act Two   2 years 9 weeks ago

I agree with the previous comments about the program and Ronnie Kroell who is a beautiful soul.

• Week of June 18 - 22, 2012   2 years 9 weeks ago

I am tearing up my old asphalt driveway in the city - by myself, not using a contractor - and I wonder if and where the material can be recycled. I would rather not send it off to the landfill.
    Sorry I am unable to call in live today.
    Thank You!
    Henry

• INDEPENDENT LENS: We Were Here   2 years 9 weeks ago

This was the very best Independent Lens Documentary that I have ever seen. It was interesting, educational, heart-wrenching, and is extremely important for my world to see. There's a whole generation out there who really have no idea what the early and horrendous impact of AIDS was on the gay (and straight) community. As the Executive Secretary to the Board of AIDS, Rochester back in the early 80's, I could totally relate to all that was said in this documentary. It was a very, very sad time in our history and yet brought people together in a way that could never have happened without this "plague". For those who remember her, hats off to Jackie Nudd and Ken Dorner for their compassion and drive to spearhead the all volunteer care-giving organization known as AIDS Rochester. And thank you PBS and WXXI-TV for giving us this important documentary.

• June 2012 listings for the New York Philharmonic   2 years 9 weeks ago

"Ah, Perfido!" isn't heard enough, I think, because of the rapid changes of mood as well as tempo markings and appogiaturas that call for precise intonation, none of which pitfalls held terrors for Karita Mattila. The Beethoven Eighth Symphony benefitted from fleet tempos...there's no slow movement...and the timpani was heard prominently. Much is gained in clarity and in differentiating the voicings from Mr. Gilbert's decision to seat the first and second violins antiphonally, as was done pre-Stokowski and Sir Henry Wood. Beethoven wrote a vocal canon "An Ma"lzel" using the same principal subject as that of the second movement. I wish that movement ended without the ritardando, but that in itself is a time-honored practice, 'a la Furtwa"angler rather than ending in tempo, 'a la Toscanini. The last movement elicited clarity in the double triplet motive, so it wasn't blurred or ponderously slow. There was, however, a slight ritardando before that modulation to F# minor (!) 'a la Monteux. The Nielsen Second Symphony makes one want to hear Mr. Gilbert's project to play and record all of the symphonies. It sounded like the Orchestra was having fun playing it: the pylons of sound in the passages marked "fff" were awe-inspiring yet clear. The first violins set the mood for the third movement's pricipal subject played, as asked in the score, on the G string. The second movement with the barcarolle-like motive, was flowing and revealing in its simplicity; and the final movement was a wave of exhilaration set into motion from the first note, D, pizzicato in the 'cellos and contrabasses and sounded on the bassoons and the timpani. It was a rollicking performance, save the c minor Adagio molto before the coda, Tempo I., "Allegro sanguineo". The descending third idea connecting the first three movements and the rising thirds beginning the second and third movement make the composer's "progressive tonality" all the more palatable as a compositional process. I've long wondered why the Nielsen Symphonies have been so scarce on orchestra programs...I don't think the Orchestra has performed any of them since Bernstein's three recordings in the 1960's....as there's nothing of the twelve-tone system in them to be off-putting to many...and I think one of the legacies of Mr. Gilbert's tenure will be his championing of these symphonies.

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1225   2 years 9 weeks ago

You played this number during the show this morning. I would love to hear it over and over. Where might I be able to buy this disk?

My husband and I especially love your show on Sunday mornings as we are eating breakfast in preparation for worship service at 10:30. We usually find a piece or two to sing along to!

Thanks for being there!

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1223   2 years 9 weeks ago

Love it.

• With Heart and Voice ® Program 1224   2 years 9 weeks ago

My go-to site for music while fixing dinner!