• worse still was the prospect of an honorable mention   6 years 3 weeks ago

[I stumbled upon this gem, and then had a heck of a time finding it again. Searched "diary," ".mp3," "tremblay mp3," and so forth.]

As I said, 'gem.' A fearlessly openhearted gem about observing fear.

• 2009 RIJF Wish List   6 years 3 weeks ago
  • Sports and Music   6 years 3 weeks ago
  • The Highland Ramble-Levon Helm comes to Rochester   6 years 3 weeks ago

Now that you mention it, I think I was grinning, too.

• The Highland Ramble-Levon Helm comes to Rochester   6 years 3 weeks ago

I'm glad you mentioned Dirt Farmer. Thanks. It has a timeless quality to it, and the spirit of Levon throughout.

• The Highland Ramble-Levon Helm comes to Rochester   6 years 3 weeks ago

My son and I have just been to our 4th Ramble in Woodstock. Just like the 1st, 4 years ago, I was grinning ear-to-ear the whole time. It is an absolute must-see event!

• Caption contest!   6 years 3 weeks ago

Just think, once we're through with all of these Sousa practices and performances, we can relax like this for the rest of the summer. July 4th can't get here soon enough!

• The Highland Ramble-Levon Helm comes to Rochester   6 years 3 weeks ago

Scott, just in case readers haven't heard about it, Helm's latest album, Dirt Farmer, made at the barn studio, is really good. His voice was still rough on many songs. He is recovering from throat cancer, and wasn't expected to sing again at all. We're lucky to have one of those voices still with us. And that drumming! A promotional film for the album is on Youtube, and Larry Campbell appears in that. Anyway, thanks for your post and the groovy sketches.

• 2009 RIJF Wish List   6 years 3 weeks ago

Maybe Steve and Eydie could open for Elvis and Diana. They do a killer version of "Black Hole Sun."

Meanwhile, my wish for Kurt Elling may have been granted. Pollstar lists him at the Eastman Theater on 10/19. No October dates at all on his website, though.

A serendipitous discovery tonight:
    "The reality in a photograph is make-believe. Nothing instructs us about that better than a caption. When a word hits a photograph they both change their focus."
    --from a review of photographer Carl Chiarenza's mid-last century senior thesis by http://www.lightfactory.org/

BTW, Chiarenza's "Noumenon" is scary-beautiful, defying logical assessment.

(Apologies for this interjection of highly relevant non-levity!)

• New show on WRUR!   6 years 3 weeks ago

I think everybody is friends with Nat Hentoff, and with David Carter, if they heard him. That whole meeting in person thing and hanging out with routine is too high a standard for friendship.

• New show on WRUR!   6 years 3 weeks ago

Having listened to American Routes for the first time this week in it's debut, it's a much needed addition to radio in Rochester. For fans of roots, Americanna, real country, there is nothing like it.

American Routes will also help fill the void left with David Carter's departure. David hosted American Remains each Thursday on WRUR from noon to 2. His many listeners can find some similar musical choices and connections each Saturday at 6 pm on 88.5.

• 2009 RIJF Wish List   6 years 3 weeks ago

A few I'd like to see:

Pink Martini.

Elvis Costello and Diana Krall - Not sure they have ever performed together in public, musically, that is. Could be an interesting combination.

Booker T and whoever he wants to bring along with him.

I'll second Stevie Wonder, Van Morrison, and Rickie Lee Jones.

• Caption contest!   6 years 3 weeks ago

Hey Fred, WAKE UP! Looks like a heavy rain coming. Does your policy cover drowning in a lawn chair? Tu ba, or not tu ba...

• Caption contest!   6 years 3 weeks ago

Oh yes, I'd LOVE to rub some brass polish along your curves. Unfortunately it's sun tan lotion.

• Caption contest!   6 years 3 weeks ago

Yeah, I don't really care for the pattern either. I think Mary Anna left it there.

• Caption contest!   6 years 3 weeks ago

OK, very impressive, dude. ButI can tell you right now it's a real lawn shot.

• Caption contest!   6 years 3 weeks ago

OK, very impressive, dude. But I can tell you right now its a real lawn shot.

• Caption contest!   6 years 3 weeks ago

Ester, no. Go find me a towel without a floral pattern on it.

• Caption contest!   6 years 3 weeks ago

Hey, waddya say we march down the garden path together and audition?

• Caption contest!   6 years 3 weeks ago

Sure, I'll pour you some more valve oil in just a minute. I'm a little embarrassed to stand up right now.

• Caption contest!   6 years 3 weeks ago

I can't concentrate on my book. Mind if I drape a towel over that thing?

Lounge Music

• Today's Memory   6 years 3 weeks ago

I know I said Cassandra is the best (repsonding to Brenda's recent post), but you've reminded me that it must really be Bill. Both artists can find new routes to the emotional center of a song, but Bill does it without words! Whether it's Shenandoah or Madonna's Live to Tell or The Delfonics La La Means I Love You, the man grabs hold and makes you feel something. Last year Spevak admitted that Bill made him cry. Might've sounded odd to some, but I knew just what he meant.

• Loverly   6 years 4 weeks ago

I love this record too and will be featuring it on What's New this weekend - Saturday at 9pm on AM 1370 and Sunday at 8pm on WRUR 88.5 FM. It's definitely not your standard standards album. She goes way beyond the great American songbook stuff, digging into some blues classics too. My favorites so far are the stripped down tunes - "Spring Can Really Hang You Up the Most" and "The Very Thought of You." These have been done a million times but Cassandra makes them sound totally fresh. Along with stuff from Loverly, I'll be playing her version of "Days of Wine and Roses" and also a Jimi Hendrix cover.