• worse still was the prospect of an honorable mention   6 years 17 weeks ago

I have a feeling... that I'm going to listen to all of these audio diaries. :)

Andrew Wheeland
    Director of Interactive Services

• Two songs, one about a radish   6 years 17 weeks ago

Best of luck to you and your husband as you move to Connecticut. A lot of fans in Rochester will be following your career.

• Gothic coolness   6 years 17 weeks ago

Mordecai Lipshutz closes the Rochester International Jazz FestivalMordecai Lipshutz closes the Rochester International Jazz Festival

• Gothic coolness   6 years 17 weeks ago

Thank you for your florid, jalepenian description. I feel as though I was right there with you. I'm sorry I missed Mordecai's closing song. As you may recall, last year (since I think we sat at the same table) I would have made it to the 2:00 a.m. finale if not for a number of unfortunate factors, including the bartender's generosity and a pounding headache sparked by a very loud brass band from New Orleans. There's always next year. Save me a seat, please. ;)

• Gothic coolness   6 years 17 weeks ago

The Soul Rebels inveigled their way into the collected souls at the Plaza Saturday night. The jalepenian atmosphere was heightened by a steaming set from The Sliding Hammers and numerous talented young performers on several different instruments. Mordecai Lipshutz wowed the crowd with his presentation of 'bobble-head' dolls to the Festival principals and the house trio at the Plaza. The bartender asked where Brenda was.

• Two songs, one about a radish   6 years 17 weeks ago

Hi Brenda!

Thanks for posting these songs! It was fun to listen to them online! Cary and I had our last rehearsal today in preparation for our concert on Sunday evening and we are looking forward to performing!!!

-Kathryn Lewek

• China trip II   6 years 17 weeks ago

I'll write about the interesting stuff.

• China trip II   6 years 18 weeks ago

We wanna hear everything! But I guess we'll settle for the best part and the worst part of your experience.

Good luck!

• Weekend Update   6 years 18 weeks ago

Thanks, Andrew. I took that picture a couple of weeks ago at Linwood gardens, 35 miles southwest of Rochester. The landscape was designed in the early 1900’s with walled gardens, pools and fountains, ornamental trees, and a view of the valley below. It's open a couple of times a year, and my family and I always try to go. It's quite something! There's also a labyrinth.

• Weekend Update   6 years 18 weeks ago

I like this picture quite a bit! Where is it from?

• Alex is missing   6 years 18 weeks ago

I guess I know what to give you for Christmas

• Alex is missing   6 years 18 weeks ago

But, truly, I need to OWN it. Possess it. It has to be MINE. You know the feeling? Thanks for offering, though. I'm a fan of The Perry Bible Fellowship!

• Alex is missing   6 years 18 weeks ago

I inherited a copy of this book! Was always a little bit curious about it. I'll let you borrow it if you can't find yours.

• Good for her   6 years 19 weeks ago

Thanks for the nice note, Matthew, and thanks for listening to the radio today! I filled in for Simon (and Albert) early Saturday morning. I blame my lack of focus on Bill Moyers. THAT smart old scallawag kept me up too late watching TV. ;)

• Good for her   6 years 19 weeks ago

Simon (and Albert) being gone saturday did not seem so bad because the wonderfull hostess(es) that filled in did and awsome job. And never mind being scattershot- the old scallawag sometimes is too himself.

• Books are your friends   6 years 19 weeks ago

True. More and more used CDs are popping up in this particular store, too.

• I Envy The Wind   6 years 19 weeks ago

I have a handful of those memories - specific times and places where I heard a song for the first time. Music can really attach itself to you. Maybe you've read the new Oliver Sacks book "Musicophilia." He writes about how, for people with Alzheimer's, music brings memory alive like nothing else.

• Politics and Music   6 years 19 weeks ago

It's hard to read too much into it, and hard to know how involved (if at all) either candidate was in choosing the songs...but it seemed to me to illustrate a difference, too. Using the Springsteen tune might have been, among other things, a nod to John Edwards, since he used it to rally supporters during his campaign.

• Books are your friends   6 years 19 weeks ago

Sometimes you can find incredible things in a used bookstore.

• Politics and Music   6 years 20 weeks ago

A friend of mine was marveling last night at how Hillary's speech was, perhaps understandably, so much about Hillary.
    For me, and forgive me if this is too simplistic, these lyrics, especially the Springsteen song, really capture the difference between the two campaigns. The difference between Clinton and Obama is so very stark. And reading Obama's choice (sorry; I'm not a Springsteen fan, so I don't know the song) helps me make further sense of why his campaign has been so successful.

• I Envy The Wind   6 years 20 weeks ago

I had a similar experience but I heard her record "Essence" late at night and when this song came on I thought it's so simple yet amazing because it's her song and you never heard it before - one can feel the song as much as hear.

• If I had a radio show...   6 years 20 weeks ago

just needs the great radio voice of La Dolce Vita

• The Sound and the Fury   6 years 20 weeks ago

Nice to hear from you! I agree. The more I think about it, the more palatable "Kodak Hall."

Carmina was pretty decent. Our conductor was pleased, and he's not one to toss around beige compliments. I can hardly wait to hear the recording. It'll air on Classical 91.5 and FM 90.3 on Monday, September 1st at 8:00 p.m.

I'll be blogging from China, I hope. I look forward to hearing Eastman-Rochester Chorus sing Haydn's Creation next season. It's one of my favs!

Brenda

• The Sound and the Fury   6 years 20 weeks ago

Kodak Theatre? I'm sentimental but Mr. Eastman was an astute entrepreneur and, may he rest in peace, I'm sure he would not object to (1.) proper upkeep and updating of his theatre, and (2.) not looking a gift horse in the mouth, i.e. the proper deference and thanks to Kodak for a most gracious gift. Look at what the Kodak Theatre in LA is- one amazing place.

Carmina? I missed it and only heard stunning reviews afterwards. I'm really sorry to have missed it. Good luck with China.

Sue Wemett, Eastman-Rochester Chorus

• He, robot   6 years 20 weeks ago

maybe monkeys will pick up the baton next season!