• Have you seen the pics?   9 years 19 weeks ago

Hi Anonymous,

Thanks for your comments- I couldn't agree more with your view on not encouraging the obsession with trends. It's great how your 6-year old being annoyed with her peers that only talk about Hannah Montana.
    Great tip for other parents too in that you don't encourage 1 particular theme and to expose your kids to a wide variety of music and TV.

Julie

• Facestat photo   9 years 19 weeks ago

It's better than "repulsive." ;)

• Facestat photo   9 years 19 weeks ago

You're beautiful...;)

• Allyn Van Dusen   9 years 19 weeks ago

She is just beautiful! Such a talent as well. Her voice is inspiring to me.

• Have you seen the pics?   9 years 20 weeks ago

I think following trends start at a young age and can be avoided if parents don't encourage it. I think it's the parents more than the kids who are at fault. A kid likes princesses so should the parent go out and buy every item of clothing and toys with princesses? My kids know of Hanna Montana and my 6-year old actually gets a little disgusted that a lot of the girls only talk about, and want to play, Hanna Montana. With us never encouraging one particular theme or program (and sticking with educational tv with no commercials) we have avoided the issue. We expose our children to a wide variety of music and tv that is educational and show them what is and what is not appropriate. Hopefully this will be enough as they get older. So far it has worked.

• Secret Confessions from Skitty   9 years 20 weeks ago

I really dig Gnarls Barkley.

• Are you smart? trustworthy? sober?   9 years 20 weeks ago

Yo-Yo Ma performed at Nazareth College in Smyth Hall when he was a very small boy before his Juilliard debut

• Rochester Radio Chorus of the Air   9 years 20 weeks ago

Have to get "Lovin' Arms" into the repertoire. Put it right next to "Wagon Wheel" and see how you voice holds up.

• Secret Confessions from Skitty   9 years 20 weeks ago

Am listening to them right now!

• Yo-Yo, Robot   9 years 20 weeks ago

and I keep thinking of the Terminator.

"They look human - sweat, bad breath, everything. Very hard to spot."

• Yo-Yo, Robot   9 years 20 weeks ago

In seeing this I was reminded of this item from the Onion: Are We Giving The Robots That Run Our Society Too Much Power?

Today: Maestro Asimo.
    Tomorrow: Emperor Asimo?

• Rochester Radio Chorus of the Air   9 years 21 weeks ago

Oh yeah, "Wagon Wheel" had me in its grips for a couple of weeks; fortunately it was winter so the windows were up and people were spared my singing along. Made my throat sore one day from doing it too loudly, too many times.

Lately it's "Lovin' Arms" by the Wood Brothers. Again, a little above my vocal range but that's not stopping me....

• Operatic interruptus   9 years 21 weeks ago

As I was sitting in the movie theater, it occurred to me to jump up and announce that the opera was simultaneously airing on Classical 91.5 - on the radio. But I didn't for a couple of reasons, one being that visuals are so crucial to the experience. It's hard for me to listen opera on the radio, unless I'm familiar with the plot and characters already.

• Operatic interruptus   9 years 21 weeks ago

For anyone that was out in the storm on Saturday, suffice it to say that theater-goes can be happy that they were inside, and that "interruption" of the opera was the only thing that happened. The national weather service issued severe thunderstorm warnings with high winds and hail. As I was listening to the opera in my car I thought - I wonder if the folks in the theater have any idea what was expected to happen out here? I entered a store, only to be trapped inside for some time. At its worst, I couldn't even see my car, which happened to be in the very first spot in the parking lot. The thunder and beating of the rain and hail on the roof was deafening. I wondered if theater-goers could even hear the opera over all of this. Its nice to know that opera lovers are like the postman - neither rain nor hail nor thunder will keep them away. Thanks for coming and "enjoying" the opera with WXXI.

• Time flies like an arrow   9 years 21 weeks ago

Thanks Peggi.
    It was quite a night of music.

• Boys Gone Wild   9 years 21 weeks ago

I can't imagine that at all.

• Yo-Yo Ma   9 years 21 weeks ago

For me, guilty pleasure doesn't mean I actually feel guilty. It's more of awareness that others might look down somehow upon my choice. I guess that still implies a hierarchy, but it's a hierarchy based upon the opinions of others whose standards you may be measured against.

Maybe I'm looking for music people would be surprised to find out he enjoys listening to - something that would elicit reactions of, "Wow, I can't believe you like that...," or something similar.

Or maybe I'm just wondering if he like Foo Fighters. :-)

• Boys Gone Wild   9 years 21 weeks ago

Thanks for illuminating take your rugrat to work day - I wondered how everything went (the tour did sound a little dull from a kid's perspective - they didn't even get to hear about raccoons or naked people on the police scanner). I love how it all unfolded, especially the Tim Hortons cup. Sweet, a free coffee!

• Boys Gone Wild   9 years 21 weeks ago

Brenda,

Did you know that the boys had such a great time with John Andrus, they left him a $1 tip. He tried to turn it down, but they insisted he keep it for doing such a great job.

PS My lecture was not really that stern.

• Yo-Yo Ma   9 years 21 weeks ago

The implication in such a question is that there's music to feel guilty about, a hierarchy.

• Yo-Yo Ma   9 years 21 weeks ago

It seems like a lot of string players misplace their instruments. You never hear about a lost tuba.

• Yo-Yo Ma   9 years 21 weeks ago

I would ask if there is any music he enjoys (either listening to or playing) that he considers a guilty pleasure.

• Yo-Yo Ma   9 years 21 weeks ago

Hmmmm, ask him if he still keeps a good eye on his 'cello after leaving it in that taxi!

G.

• Time flies like an arrow   9 years 21 weeks ago

You nailed him (especially in eric taylor 1). That captured him in the moment (scotch off image).

• New voice for the arts   9 years 21 weeks ago

Dear Penny,
    I must disagree with your predictions regarding the staying power of the Foo Fighters. It has already been thirteen years since their debut album, and I don't think it's lost any of its appeal. Just ask my children.

Given that I will be in my seventies in a little over thirty years, I will note that the Foo Fighters are at least on par with the likes of Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin. Although you are no doubt similarly predudiced against these performers, it is worth noting their music is popular with old and new listeners alike, even though it is over thirty years old. So it is reasonable to expect that I will still enjoy the Foo Fighters, even then.

Of course, we should expect that the Foo Fighters, like many aging rock bands before them, will eventually perform live with a symphony orchestra. Probably at Red Rock, but maybe Carnagie Hall. It will be simultaneously released on two audio CDs or one hi-def Bly-Ray video. But I digress.