• Welcome to Open Tunings   6 years 18 weeks ago

Steve, great job. It's very much appreciated.

• Welcome to Open Tunings   6 years 18 weeks ago

Hey Big Daddy!
    The Felice Brothers escaped me. I almost caught them the first night, but time ran out- much to my regret. Great cd, though. Have to be content with the recorded version for now.

• Welcome to Open Tunings   6 years 18 weeks ago

I had my eye out for O Death, unfortunately it didtn't work out this time. You say they will be coming to Rochester?

• Welcome to Open Tunings   6 years 18 weeks ago

Sorry to see the orangemen lost. Oh well, saves us the pain.

He'll get posting -- and I asked Katy to post her reviews too -- but I refused to sit in the hotel while he posted to the blog instead of going out to see music! As it was we were working on 5 hours of sleep most nights! Great fun!

• little or no compromise   6 years 18 weeks ago

Day one sounds like a whole lot of fun. It leave me wanting to know more. Quite a treat to see musical rebellion...how was Day Two...and Three? BTW, nice drawings.

• Welcome to Open Tunings   6 years 18 weeks ago

I was honored to be able to fill in for Scott on Open Tunings--it was great to be part of a community who value sincere and heartfelt musical expression. Thanks to him for his devotion and hard work!

• Welcome to Open Tunings   6 years 19 weeks ago

I would recommend that you try to check out the Felice Bros. They are somewhat Rapieresque.

Big Daddy Watkins

• Welcome to Open Tunings   6 years 19 weeks ago

You missed a humiliating basketball experience yesterday. Have fun and start posting!

• Welcome to Open Tunings   6 years 19 weeks ago

I just want to make a suggestion of a band to definently check out while at SXSW: O'Death
    Check them out at www.myspace.com/odeath
    One of the guys (gabe darling) grew up in rochester. You won't be dissapointed if you get a chance to catch them.
    They will also be coming to Rochester April 1st.

• Welcome to Open Tunings   6 years 19 weeks ago

I think it was good that you brought along your own IT expert! HAHA! Hope it is fabulous! Steve is doing very well. Can't wait to hear all about it! Koko...Tell Sue we miss her, too!!

• Host Mordecai Lipshutz retires   6 years 19 weeks ago

From someone originally from the Philadelphia ares as well. Upon retiring from EK in '06 and moving south, I lost track of listening to WXXI-FM and, although I was in Rochester when the station was known as WBFB-FM, I hadn't realized that Mordecai had been there that long. I mostly heard him on his drive-time program, and he as well as Simon Pontin added a humorous side to classical listening which I very much appreciated. Here's wishing Mordecai many enjoyable warm days in the sun.

• Music in our Schools Month   6 years 20 weeks ago

always enjoy your writing but this one has some especially nice touches. good job!

• Mordecai   6 years 20 weeks ago

a consumate host,
    maintaining superb hospitality always,
    whose selections made the close of the afternoon
    and the beginning of the evening very delightful
    and often moving, edifying,
    whose fairness and acceptance of those whose background
    and, possibly, belief and practice were different from his own,
    posed no hindrance, and who loved to glean the best of each
    worldview,
    lastly, a man whose acquaintance and handshake I was delighted
    aquire at the close of the Live from Hochstein concert in which
    Christopher Seaman conducted an outstanding, and not unique
    for the sake of being quirky, rendition of Shubert's Eighth....
    I am pleased to hear you will be a regular part-time host for I
    hope many years to come. Godspeed; my prayers go with
    you, sir!

• love is thicker than forget   6 years 20 weeks ago

Hi Brenda,

I love your article, and linked to it this week from Poetry & Poets in Rags.

Thanks very much for doing it.

Yours,
    Rus

• Mordecai   6 years 20 weeks ago

I will miss your voice and warm presence that, combined with beautiful music, made my home feel extra cozy in winter and airy in summer. Best wishes.

• Mordecai   6 years 20 weeks ago

Congratulations and best of luck on your retirement!

You were a welcome voice during decades of car rides home from work for me and I'm sure for thousands of others.
    And, I enjoyed many noontime at Hochstein shows on the radio and a few in person over the years.

Sincererely,
    Art Nielsen
    Pittsford

• Mordecai Lipshutz   6 years 20 weeks ago

Congratulations and best of luck on your retirement!

Sincererely,
    Art Nielsen
    Pittsford

• love is thicker than forget   6 years 20 weeks ago

Hi, Nicole,

Thanks for your e-mail! I agree with you that the poem is more provocative. I scarcely understand it. I seems to suggest that love can be mystical beyond the ability of language to describe its power.

The guy I interviewed for the NPR piece, Milton Cohen, says Cummings pursued both art forms with equal time and effort. I think it shows that some things come more easily. Cummings was a natural writer, a less natural painter. I wonder if he thought his paintings were as good as his poetry.

Brenda

• New RPO season announced!   6 years 20 weeks ago

Hi, Carl,

Look, Mahler, Nielsen, and Billy are all equally rated. So relax!

What about the Downeaster Alexa and And So It Goes?

Sincerely,

Uptown Girl

P.S. My rating will get an 11 knob when they get Sufjan Stevens.

• New RPO season announced!   6 years 20 weeks ago

*Sprays monitor with coffee*

Billy Joel more exciting than Mahler or Nielsen? I'd rather hear Kim Jong-il sing the Andy Williams song book. Gracious.

...except for Just the Way You Are, with the great solo by Phil Woods. I like that one.

I was hoping they'd get Ben Folds...

• love is thicker than forget   6 years 21 weeks ago

After looking at the collection of his paintings on SUNY Brockport site, I have an opinion. There is quite a range of work at the college, an unedited batch ranging in quality. The best work is thoughtful, sensitive in atmosphere, color, mood, with a nice feel for space and the area between things. Other work is more pedestrian, caught in a tight description of objects that don't quite breathe. It seems as though he was developing this talent and sometimes his voice came through, and sometimes he seems more the student.
    The poem, on the other hand, is very provocative. I can think over each line again and again as well as muse on the meaning of the whole. Its conception is a fresh shock for a brain looking for exercise. Perhaps the painting was meditative and fed into the poetry, or perhaps it was too hard to write twenty-four seven and he needed another outlet for his mind and soul.

• Zemlinsky and the Moon   6 years 21 weeks ago

Dear Rob,

Aren't we each of us werewolf and peasant and seer rolled into one confused lump?

Brenda

P.S. Rob and Andrew are referring to a party game in which everyone draws a card, closes his eyes, and, based on the card drawn, is a) killed by a werewolf; b) witness to murder; or c) the sneaky wolf. I have played this game with these guys and, trust me, they're both witless peasants. ;)

• Zemlinsky and the Moon   6 years 21 weeks ago

Andrew's certainly a werewolf. Sure, he's been a peasant before, but that only increases the odds that he's a werewolf this time.

• No sunshine, yet Sunshine Show slogs on   6 years 21 weeks ago

We finally had some - 4 or 5 inches of light fluffy powder. Then then temperature rose and became light rain. The snow got slushy and hard to shovel. I wish we could have one good snowfall that lasts more than a few hours.

P.S. Listenning to the stream now....

• Protesters at the County Building   6 years 21 weeks ago

The late afternoon/early evening rally was attended by over 200 people, including same-sex couples with young children and close to a dozen couples who were legally married in Canada. Rochester City Councilman Bill Pritchard, Democratic County Legislator (26th District) Steve Eckel, Brighton Town Supervisor Sandy Frankel, Father Jim Mulcahy of Open Arms Metropolitan Community Church, Michael Nicosia representing Interfaith Advocates, along with many other community leaders and local couples/families, addressed the crowd. The common theme was that all NYS families deserve equal and fair treatment.

Sue Morgan, with her family (wife Jenny and daughters Katie-aged 4 and one year old Eleanor-)standing by her side shared how she has not been able to get on her wife's health insurance due to the fact that their Canadian Marriage is not recognized by Monroe County. The result has been that Sue, as a stay at home mom, has been w/o health coverage and their daughter Eleanor is on Medicaid.

Marriage discrimination causes numerous unnecessary financial, medical, legal and social hardships for same-sex households because they are denied over 1300 rights and protections that NYS extends to married couples. A complete itemized list of these rights can be found on the Empire State Pride Agenda's website: www.prideagenda.org