• The lunar tundra   7 years 8 weeks ago

Howard Shore was the MD of the original Saturday Night Live band. Remember "Howard Shore and His All-Bee Band?" No? Just as well. But it was a great band. Lou Marini, alto. Howard Johnson, tuba. And Paul Shaffer was the pianist. And, yeah, Shore writes for orchestras. It's all good. But, 50 years after Bernstein wrote a blues for Billy Holiday, people still can't let go of the hierarchy.

• The lunar tundra   7 years 8 weeks ago

Brenda,

Had I simply said I liked the soundtrack, I'd have likely left off the disclaimer off. It is when I say the scores "stand as great works" that I find myself questioning my authority to make such assertions. You are absolutely correct, though, that I would feel no such reluctance making a similar comment about a book or film.

So your point is well taken. I try to avoid such caveats in the future. And I have been pulled way into those film scores.

• NEA Institute: sketches   7 years 8 weeks ago

Look like early Picassos! Keep up the good work.

• NEA Institute Day 7: Cats vs. dogs. You decide.   7 years 9 weeks ago

doggoing

• NEA Institute Day 8: A Walter Mitty moment.   7 years 9 weeks ago

I have kept up with your blog about the NEA Conference even though I haven't commented lately. I'd say you have climbed several giant steps up the ladder you were/are climbing. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!

It strikes me that, if Christopher does Symphony 101 (excellent for general audiences), what you've experienced is like Music 1,001 or maybe 10,001, even a million and one.

Congratulations again on having achieved the award to go there AND on what you've learned by immersing yourself in it as much as you have.

Maybe see you next week.

• NEA Institute Day 4: what's in your head   7 years 10 weeks ago

I loved it, and so I hope and think you'll get high marks for it.

I don't know this opera at all, but I've always loved anything Ancient Roman. Your review put me into the action and feel of the opera very well.

Looking forward to your report on the group's reaction. And your reaction to their reviews, assuming others had to do the same thing.

• NEA Institute Day 3: Agrippina!   7 years 10 weeks ago

I snorted in delight (I was sitting in the ninth row) at the tea-drinking sequence!

• NEA Institute Day 1   7 years 10 weeks ago

This is basically a repeat of note I just sent in station email, but thought you might get to this place first.

Enjoyed reading the first day of your blog. What happened yesterday (Monday) and today? Going to any major performances or museums? (I'd guess not, given that you said the conference is so intense, but I'd also hope you could do something really artsy while you're there.)

Let us read about your reactions to all the sights, sounds, smells, food, etc. in the big city. Have you been there often, or is this as big a deal for you as it would be for most of us? Also, more about the people as you get to know them, and insights you and they have as you go through the week.

Clearly, blogging is important there at the conference. How can anyone publicize their blog and therefore get more folks to hit it? Is there a clearinghouse for musical blogs that could be mentioned on air?

Anything tying together the aural and visual arts? That is, beyond the obvious: tranquil scene, tranquil music; active scene, active music; dark both; bright both; mysterious both; etc.

Do enjoy the week and get home safely!

• NEA Institute Day 2   7 years 10 weeks ago
    Box

Did you mean 'outside-the-box' ideas?

Simon

• What I can't see, I think of often   7 years 12 weeks ago

I love listening to you, and your stories are great!