Love Train: The Sound of Philadelphia, Part 1
Sat, 11/29/2008 - 9:30pm
Love Train: The Sound of Philadelphia, Part 1, airing Saturday, November 29 at 9:30 p.m. on WXXI-TV 21 (cable 11),
celebrates the enduring musical legacy of the mythic musical production and songwriting duo Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff and the entire family of Philadelphia International Records artists.
Gamble and Huff are best known as the creators of the classic Philly Soul sound that began dominating music and radio charts in the early 1970s and continues to thrive in the 21st century.
A cornerstone event in Legacy Recordings’ monumental Philly Soul reissue project, Love Train: The Sound of Philadelphia was filmed during a historic live concert showcasing some of the greatest music and musicians in the Philadelphia International Records catalog, including the O’Jays, Harold Melvin’s Blue Notes, Russell Thompkins Jr. and the New Stylistics, the Delfonics, the Intruders, Jerry Butler, Bunny Sigler, Three Degrees, the Soul Survivors, Jean Carne, G.C. Cameron, and the Sound of Philadelphia Orchestra (TSOP).
Love Train: The Sound of Philadelphia is an unprecedented musical experience, the most comprehensive cavalcade of Philly Soul icons ever performing on one stage. Combining dramatic sets and vibrant lighting, inspired by the design aesthetic of Philadelphia International Records’ classic album covers, with a non-stop succession of electrifying performances, Love Train provides a 21st-century venue for one of the greatest soul revues in concert history, a high-energy tribute to the immortal sights and sounds of Philly Soul.
Love Train was taped in front of an ethusiastic audience on June 7, 2008, at the landmark Borgata Hotel and Casino in Atlantic City.
Love Train performances include:
- TSOP – TSOP Orchestra with the Three Degrees
- The Love I Lost – Harold Melvin’s Blue Notes
- Expressway to Your Heart – Soul Survivors
- I’m Stone in Love With You – Russell Thompkins Jr. and the New Stylistics
- I Love Music – The O’Jays
- Rubberband Man – G.C. Cameron
- Me and Mrs. Jones – Bunny Sigler
- Used to Be My Girl – The O’Jays
- Wake Up Everybody – Harold Melvin’s Blue Notes
- Ain’t No Stopping Us Now – Bunny Sigler, Jean Carne and the Three Degrees
- Never Gonna Give You Up – Jerry Butler
- La La Means I Love You – The Delfonics
- People Get Ready/Love Train – The O’Jays
This has been a banner year in the phenomenal careers of Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff, who were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with the newly-named Ahmet Ertegun Award (formerly the “non-performer category”) at a ceremony at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City on March 10, 2008.