Be on "From the Top"
Be on "From the Top"
Sun, 12/01/2013 - 6:00am - Tue, 12/31/2013 - 11:59pm
Applications are currently being accepted from area teens, who are Classical instrumentalists, vocalists, and composers between the ages of 8 and 18, to perform on From the Top.
WXXI and the Eastman School of Music are pleased to bring From the Top Rochester on March 19, 2014 and invite young musicians from the Rochester area to apply to be part of the show. Read more about the upcoming event here.
How to Apply:
From the Top’s primary focus is to present music from the western classical tradition. However, they occasionally present music from other non-pop genres including folk music, world music, spirituals, and acoustic or piano jazz.
You are eligible if you:
• Are between the ages of 8–18 and have not enrolled in a college or conservatory
• Live in or have a significant training connection to the US
From the Top features:
• Solo instrumentalists
• Small ensembles (8 members or fewer) – WXXI recording sessions not available
• Large ensembles (9 members or more) – WXXI recording sessions not available
Soloists and composers who wish to apply should:
- Go to www.fromthetop.org/casting to fill out From the Top's Standard Application
- Applicants are required to pay a $50.00 application fee to From the Top
- Applicants must upload at least two unedited, unenhanced video or audio samples of their music. *
Need help with your video or audio sample?
WXXI is offering a limited number of audio-only recording sessions at our studios at 280 State Street in downtown Rochester, for performers who do not have the means to prepare an application audio sample. Recording sessions are available by appointment only on Thursday, October 24 between 4:00 and 7:00 p.m. and again on Saturday, October 26 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. You must schedule a 30-minute recording appointment in advance by calling Ruth Phinney at (585) 258-0332.
On the day of your recording appointment:
- You must arrive at WXXI 30 minutes prior to your recording appointment to give you time to warm-up, practice, do a sound check and get yourself organized.
- If you wish to be accompanied, you must bring your own accompanist. A piano is available in the studio.
- Make sure you have your instrument, extra reeds, strings, or accessories that may be needed in the event of an accident.
- Make sure you have all of your music, and music for your accompanist for the two pieces you wish to perform.
- Bring a flash drive upon which your audition pieces will be provided for your electronic application. (If you do not have a flash drive, WXXI will provide you with an audio CD.)
- WXXI will not do any audio editing, and is not responsible for any loss or corruption of audio on applicant’s flash drive.
From the Top Rochester is made possible in part by: