Hearing Voices "Christmas Mashup"
(Rochester, New York) – Hearing Voices host Barrett Golding presents some holiday cheer and holiday weird. Christmas Mashup, airing Monday, December 24, 2012 at 12 p.m. on AM 1370/FM-HD 91.5-2, hosts a mix of holiday stories, found-sound, and a sprinkling of sampled songs.
Listeners will hear:
- A home-recording of a "Christmas Gathering 1947", on an unlabeled 7" Wilcox Gay Recordio Disc, found by Bob Purse.
- John Beltran remixes Bing Crosby "The First Noel" on the compilation Holiday Chill - The Christmas Remixes.
- "Dad and Sam", a Jay Allison's story of father and brotherhood, from his series Life Stories.
- Simon & Garfunkel mixed "Silent Night/7 0'Clock News" back in 1996, on their album Parsley, Sage, Rosemary And Thyme.
- "Arthur Jackson: Singing Salvation Army Bellringer", a reformed drug addict now serving the Lord. The piece was produced by Todd Melby.
- "Carrie Conley"talks about raising six children as a single mom, and rounding up Christmas dinner and presents for everyone. Her son, Jerry Johnson, interviewed her for the StoryCorps project.
- "Christmas Kids" tell the stories, myths and rumours of the Holidays, from a 2nd-graders POV: Mrs. Beasley's class at Emerson School in Bozeman, Montana, recorded in 1986.
- At an orphanage in South Africa, some "Zulu Kids" belted out a few songs for producer Jake Warga.
- The late, great sound-recordist, Tony Schwartz, takes us on an audio tour of "Christmas in New York" in the late 1950s.
- And, more.
For a complete list of holiday programming on Classical 91.5, AM 1370, and WXXI-TV/HD visit WXXI.org/holiday.
Pictured: Host Barrett Golding
Credit: Hearing Voices
WXXI is the essential, life-long educational media resource for the Greater Rochester area. WXXI puts the community first with programming that stimulates and expands thought, inspires the spirit, opens cultural horizons and promotes understanding of diverse community issues. Log on to wxxi.org for more information about our services and programs.