These videos, images, and media-rich lesson plans are from PBS LearningMedia New York , a service of WXXI Public Broadcasting in partnership with the NY State Public Media stations and PBS. This collection of resources will allow educators to bring stories from the battlefront into American history, world history, and health classrooms. They will also help students to better understand veterans and their contributions.
Explore the similarities and differences in veteransâ€™ memories of World War II and Vietnam to uncover how these wars shaped American culture. Analyze artifacts and oral histories that reveal important experiences of a nation during times of conflict. Use recent veteransâ€™ personal stories to engage in a discussion of how the choice to become a soldier and the experience of serving relate to personal values and goals. You will find content in the Experiencing War, World War II, Vietnam War, and Iraq & Afghanistan sub-collections.
Note: Please preview all media for age appropriateness before using it with students. See grade level recommendations on media listings and cautionary notes for guidance.
Pearl Harbor Day Resources:
- PBS LearningMedia: Experiencing War Collection
- Tuskegee Airmen from Iowa Public Television
- WWII Oral History Project from George Public Television
- NAVY SEALs: Their Untold Story
- Last Days of Vietnam Classroom Collection
- Teaching the Civil War Collection: (NEW)
Returning From War
- PBS LearningMedia: Returning from War Collection
- Photographer on a Mission from KQED (Afghanistan Veteran & Art)
- PBS LearningMedia Collection by War
Veterans History and Contributions from PBS POV:
POV has featured a number of films that are ideal for introducing students to Veteran history and celebrating the contributions of Veterans. This collection offers educators a range of our most popular accompanying content, from web features to discussion guides, lesson plans and reading lists. Note: Lesson plans are accompanied by streaming video clips.
The Homefront: Issues for Military Families from PBS LearningMedia: Video Clips
Watch the Full Documentary of The Homefront
Military Families from PBS NewsHour Extra Students Reporting Lab for Grades 7-12: Students reflect on their experience as children in a military family.
General Resources to Search for Other Clips & Related Current Events:
- PBS LearningMedia New York (Grades preK-12)
- PBS Newshour Extra (Grades 7-12)